More Open-Source Participants Are Backing A Possible Fork Of Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Konstantin.B View Post
    Qt was forked a while ago already https://github.com/copperspice/copperspice
    That's a Qt4 fork, though, not Qt5.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

In addition to what Smitty said... you can't replace Qt with just Gtk. Qt is not a GUI toolkit but an entire Framework Library comparable to the Java or .NET BCLs. GUIs are but a small fraction of it's capabilities which also includes everything from networking to SQL facilities. So you would need to port to not just Gtk, but Boost (or a mishmash of other library), some library or another to provide SQL abstraction, and so on.

Now as a matter of principle I do want to point out that that isn't a bad thing, despite the opinions of certain individuals in this forum. C++'s built in library is extremely... minimal and historically (i.e. before the last decade) was poorly implemented by various vendors... and even then there's been various gotchas that are slowly being fixed in each new iteration of C++ that make the standard library have surprising pitfalls if you're just operating off of patterns rather than having the documentation open... Qt resolves all that by providing the built in functionality you expect in pretty much any other language in one big library (just like the built in library in other languages), as well as also happening to provide a GUI library. Which... also considering we're talking C++ and thus we have to screw around with CMake is really nice. Having a ton of small libraries instead of a few big libraries is really only feasible with languages that have sane (i.e. Declarative) build systems that are downloading off the internet rather than fucking about with with system libs where them being built differently will break your CMake script such as the differences between Boost on Debian vs Fedora... Remind me again why we couldn't have QBS instead?
      I would be curious to see a match up of the various things that Qt provides vs various libraries of equivalent functionality. Add in Gtk's pretty good bindings in other languages so you don't have to touch C if you dont want to and I feel like the gap isn't as big as some here and other places try to make it out to be.
      That all being said the documentation side of things I have heard is better on Qt's side although that could also just be a side effect of them having a larger amount of money to hire people with.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
        I would be curious to see a match up of the various things that Qt provides vs various libraries of equivalent functionality.
        Windows and macOS support of GTK is pathetic – 2020 and it still cannot use the native File Open window. Android and iOS support is non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
          Aside from cross platform stuff, what are some reason that people here would rather fork Qt and take on its maintenance burden than work with Gtk? Cause if your reason is only cross platform that sounds like a good opportunity to sponser someone to really improve the ability to compile and work with other systems
          My personal opinion (based upon some fact I realized): the Gtk libs are already PROPRIETARY (If you are GNOME you are ok with them).
          Last edited by Guest; 11 April 2020, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

That's a Qt4 fork, though, not Qt5.
            Their description says
            CopperSpice includes a majority of the Qt 5 classes
            Actually I have used neither of them so I can't tell what the current differences are.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
              My personal opinion (based upon some fact I realized): the Gtk libs are already PROPRIETARY (If you are not GNOME you are ok with them).
              Well, the original (and most common outside FOSS circles) meaning of proprietary is "home-grown"/"in-house developed".
              "Proprietary technology" = We developed it by ourselves, not bought/licensed from someone else.

GTK is the GNU ToolKit and Gnome is the GNU desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post

My personal opinion (based upon some fact I realized): the Gtk libs are already PROPRIETARY (If you are not GNOME you are ok with them).
                You should look up the definition of proprietary.

Comment

Their description says "CopperSpice includes a majority of the Qt 5 classes"
                  Actually I have used neither of them so I can't tell what the current differences are.
                  They've either ported them (if they were available under LGPLv2) or reimplemented them. Newer LGPLv3 code they can't touch. Qt was never licensed using the "or any later version" clause, so they cannot mix v2 and v3 code. CopperSpice exists since May 2012.

Comment

You should look up the definition of proprietary.
                    proprietary adjective
                    pro·​pri·​e·​tary | \ prə-ˈprī-ə-ˌter-ē \

Definition of proprietary (Entry 2 of 2)
                    1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of an owner or title holder
                    // proprietary rights

one that possesses, owns, or holds exclusive right to something; specifically : proprietor… See the full definition

So that doesn't apply to GTK, Gnome's toolkit that they develop specifically for Gnome applications?

Comment

So fork will be called "QtPi" !

Comment

Working...
                      X