More Open-Source Participants Are Backing A Possible Fork Of Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

This. It would be nice if GTK 3/4 were cross-platform, I think that would bring more usage and acceptance. I am not sure how hard it would be to make it so, but I could it bring people in. There are a lot of software projects out there using Qt that are cross-platform. There may be an issue though, because a proprietary user of GTK 3/4 maybe cannot actually use it. But maybe not an issue, maybe GTK would just be a great cross-platform tool kit for open source projects.

In regards to coding for one or the other, I have no idea the strengths or weaknesses of either. The above is just a thought.
    You won't have a decent multi-platform toolkit if the developers are 100% on Linux

Comment

Close, but no, it's "Kt" as in "Katie" - "Katie's a cutie!" I know people, I have inside info. Haha, I know nothing!
      I just hope people don't confuse that with Kate... (text editor)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I just hope people don't confuse that with Kate... (text editor)
        It was kind of a joke, but yeah. Imagine the Kate editor ported to the (hypothetical) Kt - they would have to rename it to Qate!!

Comment

It was kind of a joke, but yeah. Imagine the Kate editor ported to the (hypothetical) Kt - they would have to rename it to Qate!!
          Kt = Kate Toolkit

(just like GTK used to mean GIMP Tool Kit)

Comment

I guess I’m one of the few that believe fork is not a good option... a quick and easy one, yes.

Strongly believe they should “comply” with Qt for the time being while develop something in-house.

But a fork may take to a different road and end up with two incompatible Qt really quick.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Kt = Kate Toolkit

(just like GTK used to mean GIMP Tool Kit)
              Kate Toolkit becomes KDE Toolkit, then just becomes Kt on its own, no meaning. I think I may have seen this somewhere before!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                Funny. When TDE forked Qt3, the entire Linux world was telling them off because Qt shouldn't be forked, but now that KDE is being pressured, suddenly everyone loves the fact that Qt 5 will be forked.
                There are two reasons that people didn't like TDE:
                1. Because keeping Qt 3.x alive appeared to be duplicating a lot of effort without a strong justification. (ie. Trolltech wasn't doing anything evil with Qt 4)
                2. They appeared to be doing it out of blind hatred of KDE 4, and developing a platform based on a negative premise (ie. "not X") rather than a positive one (ie. a solid "nobody else meets this need") is never a good thing.
                See, for example, Martin Flöser's blog post on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by woprandi View Post

You won't have a decent multi-platform toolkit if the developers are 100% on Linux
                  Finally someone said non-nonsense thing!!!!

Comment

if i was Fedora i would consider ditching KDE all together if QT6 is a Paid App, but afaik even Redhat had to pay to allow people to use Secure Boot which i dont think is Free?

Comment

The amount of concern trolling in this thread is... concerning.

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                      if i was Fedora i would consider ditching KDE all together if QT6 is a Paid App, but afaik even Redhat had to pay to allow people to use Secure Boot which i dont think is Free?
                      Red Hat isn't paying for that. The KDE SIG is 100% run by volunteers; their "official" desktop is GNOME. And they kinda control it since many developers who work on GNOME are from Red Hat. A Qt fork is obviously going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X