No announcement yet.

More Open-Source Participants Are Backing A Possible Fork Of Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A controversial suggestion for some: gradually transition to GTK (soon to reach 4.0 release. For those seemly dislike that tool-kit, let remind it was made in reaction to the very issue KDE currently deals with Qt Company (before that Trolltech). Acute observers notice one big issue within open source community are lack of focus, some of unwillingness to adapt to the change inside modern technologies, and inability to properly communicate.
    Additional benefit of using GTK is its binding to any languages to programmer with its excellent Builder.
    Decision needs wisdom and rationale. Desktop Linux is on its way to establish its own identity and can reach parity or be better to either MacOS or Windows by focus, cooperation on common infrastructure like standardisation from freedesktop.org
    Whenever KDE choice, good luck for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      Funny. When TDE forked Qt3, the entire Linux world was telling them off because Qt shouldn't be forked, but now that KDE is being pressured, suddenly everyone loves the fact that Qt 5 will be forked.
      Because Trinity is a minority, while KDE is the biggest user of Qt in open-source world.

Comment

Originally posted by 9Strike View Post

Why? He has a good point. I don't think it's KDE's fault, but can't deny that open source projects which are basically controlled by one company have disadvantages. Qt showed it now, Chromium when they basically removed ad- or trackingblockers.
        The "good point" is just bait to let you succumb to his rest of propaganda, which is mostly trolling and annoyance.

He developed this tactic after he knew his old method (back in the Griffin/GhostOfFunkS/Mentalist) didn't work well.
        Many people already fell for his trap.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          Of course, this is the course of action i would personally take if i was in charge of KDE. There is the obstacle of pride and NIH syndrome to consider. I mean throwing away your desktop compositor to use your "competitor" 's isn't exactly an easy decision to make. But i think that in that way this would be possible in a very timely manner.
          This would be a difficult decision, but think how awesome it could be if there was one primary GUI toolkit for Linux. It would simplify a lot. And there's no reason you couldn't have the same KDE philosophy applied to a Gnome base. It's not like they have any control over Qt now, so you aren't losing any power in switching to GTK.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

This would be a difficult decision, but think how awesome it could be if there was one primary GUI toolkit for Linux. It would simplify a lot. And there's no reason you couldn't have the same KDE philosophy applied to a Gnome base. It's not like they have any control over Qt now, so you aren't losing any power in switching to GTK.
            But the goal of Qt Company is to develop a multi-platform framework, KDE dev are just a Qt users.
            When you want to develop decent multi-platform app, GTK is bad since GTK devs are just GNOME devs and not interested by anything else than GNOME

Comment

Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
              So fork will be called "QtPi" !
              Close, but no, it's "Kt" as in "Katie" - "Katie's a cutie!" I know people, I have inside info. Haha, I know nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                Pretty sure "GTK" stands for nothing these days, just like Qt.
                That is my understanding as well. They even dropped the + recently for going forward. Just saying, for clarifications sake.

Comment

Another KDE thread dominated by gnome trolls with multiple log-in's upvoting themselves and responding to each other's posts.

Comment

Originally posted by woprandi View Post
                    But the goal of Qt Company is to develop a multi-platform framework, KDE dev are just a Qt users.
                    When you want to develop decent multi-platform app, GTK is bad since GTK devs are just GNOME devs and not interested by anything else than GNOME
                    This. It would be nice if GTK 3/4 were cross-platform, I think that would bring more usage and acceptance. I am not sure how hard it would be to make it so, but I could it bring people in. There are a lot of software projects out there using Qt that are cross-platform. There may be an issue though, because a proprietary user of GTK 3/4 maybe cannot actually use it. But maybe not an issue, maybe GTK would just be a great cross-platform tool kit for open source projects.

In regards to coding for one or the other, I have no idea the strengths or weaknesses of either. The above is just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      Another KDE thread dominated by gnome trolls with multiple log-in's upvoting themselves and responding to each other's posts.
                      There is no such thing as a GNOME troll. There are only believers and heretics. We have marked you to be burned at the stake for your infidelity.

Comment

Working...
                      X