More Open-Source Participants Are Backing A Possible Fork Of Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It looks like you want to kill KDE as well.
    OK, I see, one more traitor to the list...
    i used KDE for like 15 years... in the moment i realized what the CLA-WAR is i quit and now i use gnome.

Face the truth Qt was bought by Nokia and Nokia was bought by Microsoft and now Microsoft use it as a weapon against linux because of this they build of all this CLA-WAR as a strategy against FLOSS success it is a operation of so called: Controlled Opposition this is a false flag attack you damage the real opposition by creating a fake opposition to split the enemy in two groups this is told Talmud tactic used by all Jewish "Bill Gates/Georg Soros" groups.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

• I hate how this Coronavirus mess is giving all the crazies plenty of free time to come out of the woodwork.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

i used KDE for like 15 years... in the moment i realized what the CLA-WAR is i quit and now i use gnome.

Face the truth Qt was bought by Nokia and Nokia was bought by Microsoft and now Microsoft use it as a weapon against linux because of this they build of all this CLA-WAR as a strategy against FLOSS success it is a operation of so called: Controlled Opposition this is a false flag attack you damage the real opposition by creating a fake opposition to split the enemy in two groups this is told Talmud tactic used by all Jewish "Bill Gates/Georg Soros" groups.
        This post is the perfectly stupid troll ending to an utterly stupid troll discussion thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          This post is the perfectly stupid troll ending to an utterly stupid troll discussion thread.
          no i can do it better by just one link: http://chuckmaultsby.net/index.html

now what? will you go to your mother and cry like a baby ?
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Guess what... GNOME is almost an anti-Linux weapon too.
            GNOME is designed to be ugly on purpose, so people come and get a "bad" impression about Linux, making them turn back to Windows.

How come? Canonical is a major contributor to GNOME (made by Red Hat)... and Canonical has cooperated with Microsoft before to bring WSL...

Comment

it looks like you are new to phoronix forum...
              Maybe that's your definition of new.

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              i was here like 8 years before you created your account ... and hell you are a censoring tyrant...
              in my point of view 144hz is right and you just delete the truth.
              Ughhhh. If you are talking about this post:

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Mutter devs are a BIG part of the Wayland Meritocracy. Don’t like that? Then GTFO.
              ...then I am already sorry, but it's just this is a severe insult towards other desktops!

any CLA-WAR company should be boycotted
              Not by people who attempt to destroy the Linux desktop!

I switched from KDE/Kubuntu to Fedora31 and now Debian/Gnome because of CLA-WAR

and in my point of view Qt company from nokia was bought by evil microsoft and is now used as a weapon against linux. same with ubuntu/kubuntu microsoft bought it and now use it as a weapon against linux.

KDE should just port their GUI /desktop to GTK and end this CLA-WAR Microsoft FUD bullshit.
              See previous post.

Comment

• Did this really explode in a DE/Toolkit war here?

I've taken my time, and I've been using Qt in the past for several cross platform projects. Since I'm working on backends at the moment anything related to Qt wouldn't hurt me much in this point of time.

Anyway. For me, if TQtC decides to break this partnership, this is not going to be beneficial for anything but short term profits. If there's a fork, the manpower to maintain it and continue development is a significant one to be stemmed, and they'd loose out on community contributions and projects like KDE really "testing" Qt to it's very core.

That said, the forked Qt would very much certainly move away from the Qt TQtC is developing. This brings a split in skillset and brings a split in community as well, not to mention the split of manpower and people interested into a certain platform.

For me, QA is a topic which hardly was discussed, Qt supports quite a number of platforms, and I don't see the manpower to maintain that. Maintain parts on Linux Qt provides for KDE? Maybe, challanging, but maybe. Supporting Qt as a whole platform for several OS? That's quite a task.

I personally hope there will be an agreement. I personally could live with LTS releases, but that's not what OSS is about. Early adoption and a playground is what actually should be beneficial to TQtC. Throwing that overboard, the step to closing it up completely is even lighter.

Qt is a beast, and sorry to say, even if there step up very committed contributors, to maintain it and keep ahead of Qt if they choose to close the source... will be a hard task to succeed in. I doubt they'd close down on development, except if that's what they meant by "short term revenues" to get rid of developers. Which I doubt.

Comment

• Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  STiAT Qt haven’t broken partnership and doesn’t plan to break partnership. The right to delay open source releases 12 months is part of the current agreement. Signed by KDE.
                  The right do do something is not equal to not breaking an existing partnership. With this step they don't legally break a partnership, but they do break a partnership. There's a difference about what contracts say, and what real implications are.

Comment

• Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    andyproughLike why do you complain about Qt when they haven’t done anything wrong according to the KDE free Qt Foundation?
                    When have you seen me complain about Qt? This post right here is the first time in years I've even written the letters "Qt", and only in response to you falsely saying that I am complaining about them. Are you having trouble keeping track of what you are trolling different people about?

Comment

• Originally posted by STiAT View Post
                      Did this really explode in a DE/Toolkit war here?For me, QA is a topic which hardly was discussed, Qt supports quite a number of platforms, and I don't see the manpower to maintain that. Maintain parts on Linux Qt provides for KDE? Maybe, challanging, but maybe. Supporting Qt as a whole platform for several OS? That's quite a task.
                      There are a few things to consider here. The Qt Company has a known employee count of 295. KDAB is somewhere between 80-150(this is based on different numbers people have worked out) or possible more due to being a truly privately listed company they don't need to publish how many employees are in fact part of KDAB .

KDAB has for a long time support Qt on several OS for their existing client base.

Its about time you go read about KDAB.
                      KDAB - Software Experts in Qt, C++ and 3D / OpenGL. We have profund expertise in desktop and embedded software services for all kind of industries.

KDAB have been doing Qt now for over 20 years. This is not like having some rookies jump in and fork Qt code base. This is having group with 20 years development experience working on Qt jump in and fork it. Little bit extra funding into KDAB and they would be able to pick up the extra 100 or so developers fairly quickly.

https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-c...q2/006101.html

Yes this is Managing Director KDAB Germany pissed by the 12 months delay idea with the staff and the money to fork the complete project if "The Qt Company" does not back down. Also KDAB have been on going getting annoyed by the terms that means commercial and open source license comes into conflict so hindering release of code unless it goes past "The Qt Company" first.

Please also note KDAB is the "The Qt Companies" largest single customer that gives them money. Lets say instead of paying them money KDAB keeps that money and puts into developers instead as well..

Reality the the man power arguement is baseless KDAB does have the man power to fork the code base. KDAB can increase it man power once it stops paying the "The Qt company" and if some other parties buy stuff from KDAB instead of the other fairly quickly KDAB could be the large man power.

Fixing the license issue would allow code KDAB developers for it customers to be released faster open source because it would not need the "The Qt company" rubber stamp of approval to release any more.

The 12 months delay on release is really the straw that broke the camel's back. The real load causing the problem is the terms on the commercial license saying you extend that with your own code you cannot public release it without "The Qt company" approval. 12 months delay on open source release would not be a bother if KDAB was free to port there extensions of the commercial version to the open source version and release it as add on libraries and the like but the current commercial license of Qt does not allow this.

PS this is underhanded this allowed "The Qt company" in open source release and commercial releases to take credit for features added by KDAB as well. So this has been a powder keg for some time now.
                      Last edited by oiaohm; 13 April 2020, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X