Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Open-Source Participants Are Backing A Possible Fork Of Qt

Phoronix: More Open-Source Participants Are Backing A Possible Fork Of Qt

This week's bombshell that future Qt releases might be restricted to paying customers for a period of twelve months has many open-source users and developers rightfully upset. Qt so far only provided a brief, generic statement but several individuals and projects are already expressing interest in a Qt fork should it come to it...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ssible-Qt-Fork

It's happening folks.... Qt will be forked.

Comment

I personally hope it's forked. While it may miss out in some regards such as the browser components... I think it will benefit in other areas. Hopefully Qutebrowser and Falkon can figure something out if it's forked.

Comment

Hopefully Qt Company will come to their senses and release LTS updates again as FOSS as well.

Comment

> bombshell that future Qt releases might

A "might" is a bombshell?

Talking about sensationalism...

Comment

And about something that was already debunked (https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-and-open-source).

But that way, people lose their time discussing, while ads are served.

Comment

So the Qt Company is pulling an Oracle...
              I suggest we come up with a nickname for them that includes Oracle reference, so they'd get ashamed and disgusted by themselves, and they change their mind.
              Maybe "The Qracle Company"?

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
                While it may miss out in some regards such as the browser components... I think it will benefit in other areas. Hopefully Qutebrowser and Falkon can figure something out if it's forked.
                The obvious choice would be to wrap QtWebEngine around a CEF core. I've always been deeply puzzled why Qt and KDE never wrote a Phonon-like wrapper for web engines and instead chose to do full forks for each new release. QtWebKit was not based on Apple's LTS (=Safari) branch and KHTML was not transformed into a wrapper, as such applications first had to do a full port from KHTML to QtWebKit and then a full port from QtWebKit to QtWebEngine.

KDE media players never had that problem. They've used Phonon when Phonon's default back-end was still Xine and today they still use Phonon and users can decide on VLC, GStreamer, and MPV back-ends – whatever works best.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                  And about something that was already debunked (https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-and-open-source).
                  "The Qt Company is proud to be committed to its customers, open source, and the Qt governance model." – I don't see how that would not mean delayed releases, esp. the LTS announcement was before the company could point to Corona as a scapegoat.

Some Qt fork may still be required, even it it's just as a hub for LTS distributions to share their bugfix patches over the course of the LTS distributions' lifetime.

Comment

If they really fork Qt, they should take the opportunity and throw out all bloat that nobody uses anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X