The Qt Company Provides A Brief Comment On Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Either way, it's a bit overkill to do a "Hello, World!" example using both toolkits base classes for top-level windows that need support for a full system of menus plus various other built-in features. (More in Qt's case than GTK's)

...especially when it's not uncommon in the world of Qt to take advantage of the "any QWidget can be a top-level window" feature to put together minimal test applications for custom widgets.
    I think we're both in agreement about Qt and Gtk. I was just trying to post the equivalent to the Gtk example. The other attempts were not equivalent in functionality or appearance.

Cheers!

Comment

So, Reading a lot of comments comparing C and C++ while in the GNOME 70% of the code is JavaScript almost the same with Qt in QtQick. I don't understand what kind of masochist you should be to use C a language created for microcontrollers and drivers to write desktop applications. Luckily C++ was updated in the last 10 years, but still comparing it with modern languages like GO, Rust and Swift it looks complex and difficult. Using C to write rich interface which contains a lot of asynchronous code and hundreds of events would be a nightmare, that's why GNOME apps have 2 or max 3 buttons.
      ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Indomitable View Post
        Luckily C++ was updated in the last 10 years, but still comparing it with modern languages like GO, Rust and Swift it looks complex and difficult.​​​​​
        More complex than it looks at first glance. See, for example:
        • SFINAE
        • The Errata Evaluation Problem (Scott Meyers, formerly one of the top C++ experts feels that, after only two years away from it, he'd already forgotten too much to trust himself to judge the correctness of code)

Comment

Working...
        X