Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by berolinux View Post
    There's good reasons why just about everyone but gnome is jumping off GTK
    everyone but gnome, firefox, chromium and libreoffice. like everyone except everyone

Comment

• Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Options: Fork it and make development independent? Or make another GUI framework, using Rust.
      why just gui framework when you can rewrite whole kde in rust?

Comment

• Originally posted by oleid View Post
        I've programmed using both toolkits, started with GTK2 back then when it was new and created freepascal bindings. Also used Qt3, 4 and nowadays Qt5 at work. I still prefer GTK+ as its API is cleaner. And I like its C++ bindings more than Qt's C++ API.
        that's because unlike qt, gtkmm is written in c++

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
          GTK is a UI tookit whereas Qt is a complete system programming toolkit. The entire KDE ecosystem is built on top of Qt functionality, moving to GTK would require not just a rewrite but probably a redesign. Also, since GTK could be called GNOME Toolkit nowadays I'm not so sure that KDE would be much better off.
          IMHO, the alleged Plasma desktop environment built with GTK 4 is a stupidity. In that scenario is better to discontinue the desktop environment and transform KDE into an ecosystem of applications built with GTK4.

I don't use KDE Plasma now, but I use some KDE apps as my preference in some areas. I use Krita as my main app for image manipulation and Kdenlive as my video editor. I think I could change Kdenlive for another app like Shotcut, but GIMP is in my experience much less powerful than Krita. K3B is another app I couldn't replace for another GTK based.

Comment

• Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            You're probably looking at a complete rewrite. GTK doesn't have the same level of functionality that Qt does.
            you mean gtk doesn't try to reimplement everything including standard library? but that makes it better, not worse

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Replace PIM with purple?
              Replace Akonadi and Baloo with Tracker?
              Replace Phonon with GStreamer?
              Replace KWin with Mutter?
              Replace DWD with nothing?
              Replace KF with GLib?!

Yeah sure what is next? Replace KDE with GNOME?!?!
              hmm.... so many nice choices.....
              joking aside, i don't think glib has place in the world

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                everyone but gnome, firefox, chromium and libreoffice. like everyone except everyone
                meh, Chrome and Firefox use GTK as a low-level toolkit for window creation, although Firefox calls into GTKs drawing APIs to draw GTK widgets inside itself.

Comment

• omg. people are soo over reacting. So you will have to build Qt yourself.... so what if they restrict binary releases. We will always have the sources. Stop over reacting!

Comment

• Originally posted by lpotter View Post
                    omg. people are soo over reacting. So you will have to build Qt yourself.... so what if they restrict binary releases. We will always have the sources. Stop over reacting!
                    The original post says this could impact the sources being released to.

Comment

• KDE has never floated my boat, however I do like Calibre, KeepassXC, OBS, Virtualbox, VLC, ocenaudio, and x2go (all of which use Qt). I'll be watching what those projects do in reaction to all this. That's as far as I'm concerned.

BTW: great command in debian, to check which packages you have installed, which rely upon some Qt5-related library package:

Code:
                      aptitude why <some_qt_library_package>
                      I would be perfectly content if the above projects just kept using a "stagnant" Qt, as seen in Debian stable, at present. Projects like LXDE and MATE desktop historically demonstrate that you can get by for years on end, just using a "stagnant" widget set. Just so long as security fixes get backported somehow.
                      Last edited by esbeeb; 08 April 2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X