New Qt Releases Might Now Be Restricted To Paying Customers For 12 Months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GdeR View Post

What can you recommend apart from Qt? I'm a C++ programmer in desperate need of a reliable GUI toolkit.
    Don't let the toolkit language stop you. It's easy to wrap gtk, and the advantage is that it doesnt try to put some alien classes everywhere that make use of state if the art libraries harder.

Look at gtk and wxwidgets, search for c++ bindings or roll your own.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
      Best road to go, would maybe be to Ask the GTK guys to push back GTK4 and do a collaboration so that after GTK4 is out, its possible to slowly port KDE to GTK4 without to much missing features on the framework side.
      What do you think?
      Holy shit KNOME was a portent

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
        Don't let the toolkit language stop you. It's easy to wrap gtk, and the advantage is that it doesnt try to put some alien classes everywhere that make use of state if the art libraries harder.

Look at gtk and wxwidgets, search for c++ bindings or roll your own.
        Thanks for your advice : )

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I didn't use it yet. Springlobby, aMule, BOINC and probably 0 A.D. The last one seems to be working quite well, but the other two were just terrible. Maybe it's not wxWidgets fault, but I bet there's something wrong with it.
          It tries to compile natively to even win98. Means it's core features are the least common denominator. If you are content with what's available however it will look (almost) native anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
            GTK is a UI tookit whereas Qt is a complete system programming toolkit.
            With the C++ language and library enhancements over the years a fair amount of the Qt plumbing can be synthesized these days (there has been preliminary work to use reflection and introspection to replace moc, for example), and there are now more cases where a Q[something] can be replaced by a std::[else]. But it would be a lot of work just to maintain the status quo, and no project of any size would choose to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post

Thanks for your advice : )
              You are welcome.

If you know python you might start there (with those bindings) BTW. Alot easier to evaluate the toolkits.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

It tries to compile natively to even win98. Means it's core features are the least common denominator. If you are content with what's available however it will look (almost) native anywhere
                Thanks for clarification. It seems there's quite a lot wxWidgets applications. I'll for sure check more of them.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Holy shit KNOME was a portent
                  Found an article on that on Linuxreviews and it sounded like an April Fools joke but it might happen actually in some form if this Qt debacle goes on for too long.

Comment

My personal opinion:
                    If a company takes such a drastic step, I assume that it either has big financial problems, or it's mis-managed.
                    In the first case, it might not be around for long in its current form.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

This thing is terrible. Every wxWidgets app I tried was total mess. Slow, ugly and buggy.
                      Even Dolphin Emulator moved away from wx to Qt.

Comment

Working...
                      X