Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Qt Releases Might Now Be Restricted To Paying Customers For 12 Months

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #71
    Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    +1

    Wonder how much better KDE would be if run on a GTK+4 base and how difficult would be to port the existing KDE frameworks to GTK4? I can picture a skunkworks project that would port KDE to GTK framework.
    You're probably looking at a complete rewrite. GTK doesn't have the same level of functionality that Qt does.

    Comment


    • #72
      Guess it's time to start working on my openbox config skills. Anything that Big Corporate Linux touches just can't be trusted really to not try to lock me in to their walled garden of apps or to monetize me in some way.

      Comment


      • #73
        Originally posted by Britoid View Post

        You're probably looking at a complete rewrite. GTK doesn't have the same level of functionality that Qt does.
        Most likely that's true for those components of Qt that do not map cleanly on corresponding GTK+ API calls.

        Comment


        • #74
          How's that nobody mentions wxWidgets? Is it that bad? I've always heard great things about it.

          Comment


          • #75
            Originally posted by GdeR View Post
            How's that nobody mentions wxWidgets? Is it that bad? I've always heard great things about it.
            This thing is terrible. Every wxWidgets app I tried was total mess. Slow, ugly and buggy.

            Comment


            • #76
              GTK is a UI tookit whereas Qt is a complete system programming toolkit. The entire KDE ecosystem is built on top of Qt functionality, moving to GTK would require not just a rewrite but probably a redesign. Also, since GTK could be called GNOME Toolkit nowadays I'm not so sure that KDE would be much better off.

              Comment


              • #77
                Originally posted by Volta View Post

                This thing is terrible. Every wxWidgets app I tried was total mess. Slow, ugly and buggy.
                What can you recommend apart from Qt? I'm a C++ programmer in desperate need of a reliable GUI toolkit.

                Comment


                • #78
                  Originally posted by Volta View Post

                  This thing is terrible. Every wxWidgets app I tried was total mess. Slow, ugly and buggy.
                  I believe Filezilla uses it.

                  Comment


                  • #79
                    Originally posted by GdeR View Post

                    What can you recommend apart from Qt? I'm a C++ programmer in desperate need of a reliable GUI toolkit.
                    Few people in this thread have some ideas:

                    https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...20#post1170720

                    Comment


                    • #80
                      Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post

                      I believe Filezilla uses it.
                      I didn't use it yet. Springlobby, aMule, BOINC and probably 0 A.D. The last one seems to be working quite well, but the other three were just terrible. Maybe it's not wxWidgets fault, but I bet there's something wrong with it.
                      Last edited by Volta; 08 April 2020, 02:01 PM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X