New Qt Releases Might Now Be Restricted To Paying Customers For 12 Months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I don't think desktop Linux is really important for Qt that much.
    That's true and sadly this is one of the biggest reasons to use Gtk where Linux has the highest priority.

Comment

It's a loophole in agreement.
      If these license terms are not yet present at the time of the Qt release, then they must be applied within a timeframe of not more than 12 months.
      The KDE Free Qt Foundation is an organization with the purpose of securing the availability of the Qt toolkit

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Plus, the IT industry is one of the least affected. We can work just as well (better in many cases) from home. Unless a number of Qt Company's clients canceled products, I don't see an impact here.
        That's what flabbergasts me the most. The QtCo makes software used solely by people who write software. I can see how some SW companies that sell stuff like store management or accounting tools may be impacted... but QtCo? COVID seems like a convenient excuse to try to get more paying customers.

Comment

I can't help but smile when thinking that some projects abandoned GTK for Qt, like Audacious for example.... It serves you well, we are getting GTK4 soon, which will be awesome and support all the latest and greatest standards like Wayland and Vulkan, and they are going to be stuck with old Qt5 since 6 is going to be paywalled. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Unless a number of Qt Company's clients canceled products, I don't see an impact here.
            That's the point. Corona is going to cause some economic recession and this means canceled products or lower sales.

Qt, just like any other framework company is going to take the same hit their clients are taking.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
              That's what flabbergasts me the most. The QtCo makes software used solely by people who write software. I can see how some SW companies that sell stuff like store management or accounting tools may be impacted... but QtCo? COVID seems like a convenient excuse to try to get more paying customers.
              And people who write software expect to sell it, or sell the hardware using Qt to run the graphical interface on the screen. Less sales of Qt customers will affect Qt too as their client companies drop license or try to save some cash by using the GPLed version (legally or not).

Seriously what is hard to understand, if the client has less money to spend, the provider sees less money. Boom, mind=blown.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                d3coder It’s not a loophole. It has been a known liability since forever. If someone made you believe otherwise then they have been lying to you.
                The only one lying is the person I'm quoting in this very post. Be gone.

Comment

If this was another open source project and not Qt I bet you half the people here defending this decision wouldn't be doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    And people who write software expect to sell it, or sell the hardware using Qt to run the graphical interface on the screen. Less sales of Qt customers will affect Qt too as their client companies drop license or try to save some cash by using the GPLed version (legally or not).

Seriously what is hard to understand, if the client has less money to spend, the provider sees less money. Boom, mind=blown.
                    If this happens, it will be an indirect impact. I don't believe that the QtCo has many (if any) contracts where they would take payment in the form of percentage of the customer's revenue. If you have a business built upon Qt, how is dropping QtCo a good idea unless you didn't really need commercial license in the first place? Will just try to maintain the last Qt version you got by yourself? What happens when you drop the commercial Qt license anyway? Can you keep on using what you have under the commercial terms or do you have to start complying with the GPL?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                      If this was another open source project and not Qt I bet you half the people here defending this decision wouldn't be doing so.
                      Such as say, Vim, GIMP, Inkscape, LibreOffice, TexLive, ffmpeg...?

When a major player in the FOSS world considers to turn their back the FOSS world, it is obviously a cause for concern.

Comment

Working...
                      X