No announcement yet.

Fedora Adopts A New Vision Statement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no problem with the spirit of this sentiment, but I do have concerns. It becomes difficult in a multicultural project where what one person considers being toxic another person considers being forthright, and where some people, for a variety of reasons, can be oblivious to social cues and decorum (particularly when operating at a distance). How is welcoming being defined? Is being unresponsive (not as in "I'm really busy" or "we've determined a different direction", but as in "I can't be bothered to hear you out") or dismissive considered welcoming? Are we going to pretend that has never happened in Fedora?

I have no doubt that easily individually-shed contributors and community members will be held to this standard, but will people well-networked in and considered important to the processes of the Fedora Project be held to the same standard? Time and again I never see these well-intentioned standards applied evenly in organizations. Certain well-networked people get championed and any rubbish comments they make or abrasive actions they take are swept under the carpet. Meanwhile, people without a bully pulpit whose comments or actions may or may not have been misconstrued get browbeaten if not chased out the door without being afforded the benefit of the doubt.

Please be extra-aware of how your actions even outside of our mailing lists, forums, and channels reflect upon Fedora as a whole.
    I think most people can agree that certain personal comments or actions made outside of official channels and which are clearly beyond the pale of the times should be taken into consideration. However, I am concerned that this can devolve into goodthink/crimethink thought policing, as has happened on occasion in certain organizations.

Comment

Please everyone kiss and hug in this lovely pink world of ours. Or at least kowtow in this social distancing period.

This is good timing as coronavirus brings people together. But as soon as everyone gets back to normal, this statement will seem mellow and naive.
      Last edited by Mez'; 25 March 2020, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Can this Miller explain what 'open minded' means or perhaps, he was so open he's already possessed and he's babbling?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          What about paying attention to and fixing major bugs instead? RedHat developers have broken a major feature - no one bothers even to reply to a bug report. WTF, Fedora?

And it's not the only bug report like that. There are literally thousands of them.
          Some stupid M$ fonts aren't major issues.

Comment

Party on dude!

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Glad to see that Fedora will be moving to openRC and KDE
              You're welcome to use the KDE Spin, it's actually really good

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                Can this Miller explain what 'open minded' means or perhaps, he was so open he's already possessed and he's babbling?
                Fedora wont change just because Miller was Drunk when he posted that

Comment

Originally posted by Grim85 View Post

You're welcome to use the KDE Spin, it's actually really good
                  And where do I find the openRC spin?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

And where do I find the openRC spin?
                    You're welcome to get started on decoupling systemd from Fedora, call it Feora. We can add it to the list of systemd free distros like Devuan or Artix that almost no one uses

Comment

Statements, Manifests.. all expression of good intents, hopefully the purpose is to go further that.
                      I guess it's good to start somewhere but I think most of the time you only see results when you "crack the whip", which I'm not suggesting.. just saying that sometimes people don't consider the consequences of their actions unless they get a spank (unfortunately).
                      On the other side some people are really good in pretending or appearing to behave in a good form while in reality are just being dicks, and able to trigger other(s) (intentionally or not, just observing not judging) towards a bad/condemnable "reaction".
                      I'm happy about this kind of initiatives as long as veterans and key members are able to set themselves as examples, otherwise it'll only be a cute manifest.

2 cents from a real and annoying nobody
                      now please go back to write some fucking Stratis code so that we get something to play with rather than this drama bullshit
                      Last edited by horizonbrave; 25 March 2020, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X