No announcement yet.

Former Linux Developer Hans Reiser To Remain Locked Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t see how reiser4 is a viable filesystem. It’s of the older generation and doesn't have the advanced features like btrfs or ZFS. If anything I don’t see how it’s better than XFS.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Classic non sequitur. A spermatozoon has my own DNA it all dies anyway except for someday perhaps a couple of them, its not different than my skin flaking off etc as it dies and is replaced. You sort of have a point with the beetle but frankly that comes down to how similar we are to the beetle and how "humane" it's death is... late term abortion never was and never will be remotely as humane as stepping on a beetle.
      It's either a living human being or not.
      Anything else is nonsense likely fueled by religion.

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post

This.
        I'm not excusing the guy from anything but there's legal systems designed to punish his crimes.
        It's stupid to not let him contribute code.
        Some people will be uncomfortable working and communicating with a convicted murderer. And a lot of people work on the linux kernel. It's not written by robots.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
          I don’t see how reiser4 is a viable filesystem. It’s of the older generation and doesn't have the advanced features like btrfs or ZFS. If anything I don’t see how it’s better than XFS.
          https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa..._reiser4&num=1

OK, artificial benchmarks on a very old kernel version. Still, it does imply there is some code in Reiser4 that is fast. Either by design or by code quality. It would be a shame to just let it go to waste over nothing more than its name alone. Which does actually seem to be the key reason why people refuse touching it. As suggested several times over the years, a simple rename could fix that.

And then we could start working on the code again, hopefully incorporating some of its ideas into a possible successor to ext4 or some other file system.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

Ho yeah?
            Lock yourself with him in his cell, for shore you will made a nice b*ch to him..
            Probably in the process you even will end without your head..

That guy is a Psicopath, see Wikipedia, just analyze all the facts , condense...

Jesus, after killing a mother of 2 and buried her, he simply brought a book..
            "How to commit the perfect Crime"... yeah can you believe it?

He doesn't belong in this Society... he his a cold blood killer, and already tasted it, for what it seems from his profile and actions, he liked a lot!
            That's why he got 15 years to life sentence, and that's why he is not on parole.( thanks god.. )
            Sure but what does that have to do with the patches? He should be imprisoned for life (given the certainty of his parole denials), and also submitting patches.

If he's uncivil or people don't want to work with him for other reasons, that's another matter, but the injustice is done, and the consequence is in effect; if he is productive and generous in some other facet of his life, I don't see why society should not benefit from it.

Now, probably Reiser's filesystems aren't anything all that special at this point, but that's a different matter.
            Last edited by microcode; 23 March 2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

The unborn are living creatures too, living human beings no less... it is sick where people draw that line these days. Late term abortion is right up there with Nazi atrocities IMO.
              Thank you for shedding some truth. I would add on my side, that the debate is then open, on the guilt borne by those who commit the atrocity of killing an unborn. Just like in Nazi Germany, where it was said to be a good act to harm Jews, in our post-Nazi society it is said to be a good thing to be pro-choice. The frame of reference is so skewed that people acting in it are having wrong inputs to take decision - it still takes willfully putting one's head into the sand to deny that an unborn is alive, but the society kinda helps with it, saying this is pro-womens-rights, "my body my choice", etc. Just like german propaganda was depicting how the Jews were bad to Germany (and the world) and how it was a good act to harm them.

One difference being that, the Jews that were killed were born and grown, whereas there is this emotional disconnect with a foetus still in the womb - nobody has really interacted, e.g. played with her or him face to face yet, so until it is born, it is less inconceivable (still inconceivable to me though) to downplay the value of the foetus.

Comment

I wonder whether his FS would be alive and relevant if it weren't named after him. It's a shame that a kernel developer can't contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
                  It's either a living human being or not.
                  Anything else is nonsense likely fueled by religion.
                  My argument was clear, in that it is a *part* of me that also happens to be non sentient... and as far as we know doesn't evne qualify as feeling pain.

Again not the case for a fetus, its a separate individual since conception, and at some point is capable of feeling pain as well as sustaining itself with medical aid fairly early in gestation at this point in our technological development. Just because you are TOO STUPID, to use contraceptives doesn't give you a right to kill a human being.

Comment

My argument was clear, in that it is a *part* of me that also happens to be non sentient... and as far as we know doesn't evne qualify as feeling pain.

Again not the case for a fetus, its a separate individual since conception, and at some point is capable of feeling pain as well as sustaining itself with medical aid fairly early in gestation at this point in our technological development. Just because you are TOO STUPID, to use contraceptives doesn't give you a right to kill a human being.
                    Not everyone has a choice to use contraceptives. You won't tell a rape victim that she should just insist on contraceptives the next time, right? I see nothing wrong with abortion myself, but saying that it's wrong in every circumstance implies a lot of bad things too. Some women might choose being able to live themselves over giving birth to a child too. Since a fetus is a part of woman's body, bodily autonomy should apply, and she should have every right to remove that part of her body for whatever reason she wants.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclistefou View Post

Thank you for shedding some truth. I would add on my side, that the debate is then open, on the guilt borne by those who commit the atrocity of killing an unborn. Just like in Nazi Germany, where it was said to be a good act to harm Jews, in our post-Nazi society it is said to be a good thing to be pro-choice. The frame of reference is so skewed that people acting in it are having wrong inputs to take decision - it still takes willfully putting one's head into the sand to deny that an unborn is alive, but the society kinda helps with it, saying this is pro-womens-rights, "my body my choice", etc. Just like german propaganda was depicting how the Jews were bad to Germany (and the world) and how it was a good act to harm them.

One difference being that, the Jews that were killed were born and grown, whereas there is this emotional disconnect with a foetus still in the womb - nobody has really interacted, e.g. played with her or him face to face yet, so until it is born, it is less inconceivable (still inconceivable to me though) to downplay the value of the foetus.
                      I think I must have registered to the wrong forum. I was quite sure this was a forum focusing on the technical aspects of Linux. But it seems it isn't. A thread on Hans Reiser, ResiserFS etc shouldn't diverge on the personal views on abortion.

Comment

Working...
                      X