Former Linux Developer Hans Reiser To Remain Locked Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

One of the best, if not the best, anatomy book was created by a Nazi using inhumane methods.
    Lets be exceedingly clear the existence of the atlas is casts no favorable light on the Nazi regime... most of the Nazi experimentation was to prove Aryans to be the superior race and as such almost entirely useless ,and in this case the atlas was completed with use of the cadavers of political prisoners ( probably a lot of whom were good people or had at least turned on the Nazi regime at some point)... the work on the Atlas continued after the war and did not depend on these cadavers. The atlas itself killed and tortured no one as far as I know unlike many of the other Nazi projects, where experimentation on live subjects occurred. So while all of the people involved in the project were apparently pretty stout Nazi sympathizers it is a terrible example of inhumane methods being valid, as no inhumane methods were required (even now cadavers are available from convicted murderers or people who have donate their bodies to science).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Don't forget animal testing. I don't want to sound like an activist, which I'm absolutely not btw, but we're talking about lives here, so in that regard, animals are living creatures too.
      The unborn are living creatures too, living human beings no less... it is sick where people draw that line these days. Late term abortion is right up there with Nazi atrocities IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        Don't forget animal testing. I don't want to sound like an activist, which I'm absolutely not btw, but we're talking about lives here, so in that regard, animals are living creatures too.
        Nature doesn't have the concept of rights. It's that plain and simple.
        Whatever we do or do not allow regarding animals is between us humans only.
        Meaning that when someone, say, tortures a moggy or a kitty we object to it not bc animals have rights, but bc we as a society don't condone such behavior and wouldn't allow someone who does that live freely among us.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

The unborn are living creatures too, living human beings no less... it is sick where people draw that line these days. Late term abortion is right up there with Nazi atrocities IMO.
          Be sure not to step on a beetle next time you're on a picnic.
          Let alone not to jerk off ever, cos your semen is thousands of living creatures you kill you MONSTER.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
            Be sure not to step on a beetle next time you're on a picnic.
            Let alone not to jerk off ever, cos your semen is thousands of living creatures you kill you MONSTER.
            Classic non sequitur. A spermatozoon has my own DNA it all dies anyway except for someday perhaps a couple of them, its not different than my skin flaking off etc as it dies and is replaced. You sort of have a point with the beetle but frankly that comes down to how similar we are to the beetle and how "humane" it's death is... late term abortion never was and never will be remotely as humane as stepping on a beetle.

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedogs View Post

torturing people then writing some of it down isn't research, however the idea of incarceration is theoretically rehabilitation, so i wouldn't care if he started writing more code. he was a bit of an arsehole even before he murdered his wife so i doubt he's going to be able to work well with others. kind of a moot point anyway until we see what he wants to do if he gets out in a few years
              yeah... a lot of our current knowledge of how to deal with hypothermia was developed by enforcing it on undesirables off the camps. Should we throw the knowledge away and let people die nowadays when they could be saved if that knowledge would be applied?

Same can be said about the illnesses (nowadays rare, god thanks!) that were researched as a bio weapon.

Also, most of the anatomy atlases were made thanks to the people who were extinguished quite often just for that reason (unless of course you are naive enough to believe that they were waiting for eg. women pregnant in that particular state of pregnancy to die of natural reasons).

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

He is. And he is paying for his crime. This does not mean that he shouldn't be given a chance to redeem himself for the rest of his life. People make mistakes. He who is sinless should cast the first stone....
                I wouldn't call a premeditated murder a "mistake". Of course I don't claim to take a judge's place; it's up to the justice system to decide whether the time has come to give him a second chance and apparently their conclusion was no, or at least not yet. All I'm saying is that out of respect for the victim and her loved ones, we shouldn't be hoping for his early release just because he might then develop something useful for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

No, the sentence is fifteen years to life. When (or even if) he will be released will depend on when he can convince the parole board that he is no longer a danger to society. How long that may take is anyone's guess. But his next opportunity will be in three years.
                  Reiser will not be released, he is held in a "for profit penitentuary", the incentive is to keep him there until he dies.

Comment

Once he pays his debts to the legal system, his code should be accepted or denied on the merits of its contents.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                      It was pretty much to be expected that he'd be out sometime soon considering the prosecutors would have had to go to trial without a body and a whole lot of non-conclusive evidence had he not made a plea deal where he told them where he buried his ex wife's body. I kind of forgot it was that long ago and seeing the year my first thought was one of "So how is he not out yet?". Looked up the sentencing guidelines in California and it sounds to me like he wasn't a very good negotiator or had Lionel Hutz as his lawyer.
                      They already had the trial, even after Reiser was offered chances to plea bargain. Reiser was convicted of first degree murder by a jury, probably because he insisted on testifying against his lawyer's advice. It was only before sentencing that he bargained for a lesser charge. In other words, if he hadn't hidden the body, he would be almost certainly be doing 25 to life.

Comment

Working...
                      X