No announcement yet.

Former Linux Developer Hans Reiser To Remain Locked Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a filesystem like Reiser I would forgive him already. 15 years should be enough.

Comment

Evil BTRFS lobby is trying hard to keep him out of the game. /s

Comment

Originally posted by r08z View Post
        With a filesystem like Reiser I would forgive him already. 15 years should be enough.
        Huh? One has nothing to do with the other. Developing a filesystem for profit is not a Get Out of Jail Free pass.
        EDIT: Also, he hasn't served 15 years. He's served about 12.

Originally posted by CommunityMember
        No, the sentence is fifteen years to life.
        +1 to that very important detail. Also, while it's technically true he was convicted of 1st degree murder originally, the charge was reduced to 2nd degree after he revealed the location of the body. That's the reason the sentence is "only" 15 years minimum and he was already eligible for parole. Quick Googling leads me to believe that the sentence would have been 25 to life if it had remained 1st degree.
        Last edited by DanL; 22 March 2020, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

i do not understand why should we equate both of them.

modern medicine benefits from inhumane research done during the WW2, and nobody bats an eye. Reiser develops a file system, and murders his wife - let's invalidate all his efforts in completely separate field, because his code is somehow tainted with his madness.

I mean, if there is a technical reason against it - sure. But as long as it doesn't infringe on any copyrights, i am okay with it.
          The medicine benefits from the Nazi inhumane research during WW2 is more or less negligible and "nobody bats an eye" is far from the truth considering that most scientific journals refuse to publish articles that cite that research. Basically this hole idea that modern medicine is based on concentration camp research is just a myth.

Quote from Wikipedia:
          Andrew Conway Ivy stated the Nazi experiments were of no medical value. Data obtained from the experiments, however, has been used and considered for use in multiple fields, often causing controversy. Some object to the data's use purely on ethical grounds, disagreeing with the methods used to obtain it, while others have rejected the research only on scientific grounds, criticizing methodological inconsistencies. Those in favor of using the data argue that if it has practical value to save lives, it would be equally unethical not to use it. Arnold S. Relman, editor of The New England Journal of Medicine from 1977 till 1991, refused to allow the journal to publish any article that cited the Nazi experiments.

The results of the Dachau freezing experiments have been used in some late 20th century research into the treatment of hypothermia; at least 45 publications had referenced the experiments as of 1984, though the majority of publications in the field did not cite the research. Those who have argued in favor of using the research include Dr Robert Pozos from the University of Minnesota and Dr John Hayward from the University of Victoria. In a 1990 review of the Dachau experiments, Robert Berger concludes that the study has "all the ingredients of a scientific fraud" and that the data "cannot advance science or save human lives."

In 1989, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) considered using data from Nazi research into the effects of phosgene gas, believing the data could help US soldiers stationed in the Persian Gulf at the time. They eventually decided against using it, on the grounds it would lead to criticism and similar data could be obtained from later studies on animals. Writing for Jewish Law, Baruch Cohen concluded that the EPA's "knee-jerk reaction" to reject the data's use was "typical, but unprofessional", arguing that it could have saved lives.

Controversy has also risen from the use of results of biological warfare testing done by the Imperial Japanese Army's Unit 731. The results from Unit 731 were kept classified by the United States until the majority of doctors involved were given pardons.
          What is true however is that we learned much from the pre WW2 research done by the Nazis, and perhaps that is the source of the confusion: https://www.theguardian.com/news/200...estions.cancer

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            People need to separate technology from the filth that is mankind.
            Yeah, nowadays we jokes like the Ethical Source movement trying to force its way into Free Software... this is the worst moment in software history to be rational people :/

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

i do not understand why should we equate both of them.

modern medicine benefits from inhumane research done during the WW2, and nobody bats an eye. Reiser develops a file system, and murders his wife - let's invalidate all his efforts in completely separate field, because his code is somehow tainted with his madness.

I mean, if there is a technical reason against it - sure. But as long as it doesn't infringe on any copyrights, i am okay with it.
              Ho yeah?
              Lock yourself with him in his cell, for shore you will made a nice b*ch to him..
              Probably in the process you even will end without your head..

That guy is a Psicopath, see Wikipedia, just analyze all the facts , condense...

Jesus, after killing a mother of 2 and buried her, he simply brought a book..
              "How to commit the perfect Crime"... yeah can you believe it?

He doesn't belong in this Society... he his a cold blood killer, and already tasted it, for what it seems from his profile and actions, he liked a lot!
              That's why he got 15 years to life sentence, and that's why he is not on parole.( thanks god.. )

Comment

Originally posted by r08z View Post
                Join him, for sure he his in dare need for a "new b*tch", other one to cut in pieces..

Comment

As he wasn't well received in the Linux kernel community even before his arrest and conviction and now obviously further distanced from all Linux stakeholders from his heinous crime, it would be difficult to see him getting back involved in Linux development when he does end up being released.
                  Hans is looking forward to working with FreeBSD (especially as BSD is already dead).

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedogs View Post

torturing people then writing some of it down isn't research...
                    One of the best, if not the best, anatomy book was created by a Nazi using inhumane methods.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                      He's a murderer. Any Linux contributions he did are insignificant in comparison.
                      He is. And he is paying for his crime. This does not mean that he shouldn't be given a chance to redeem himself for the rest of his life. People make mistakes. He who is sinless should cast the first stone....

Comment

Working...
                      X