Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Linux Developer Hans Reiser To Remain Locked Up

Phoronix: Former Linux Developer Hans Reiser To Remain Locked Up

Hard to believe that former Linux developer Hans Reiser was already eligible for parole, but it was denied this month. The former developer responsible for creating the once-promising ReiserFS and Reiser4 file-systems will remain locked up for at least three more years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't even know why did he do such a horrible thing...

...but...

Ready? Set? 10 pages of comments!

Comment

He's a murderer. Any Linux contributions he did are insignificant in comparison.

Comment

I have no problems with Reiser contributing to the kernel.

​​​​​

Comment

His original sentence was for fifteen years
          No, the sentence is fifteen years to life. When (or even if) he will be released will depend on when he can convince the parole board that he is no longer a danger to society. How long that may take is anyone's guess. But his next opportunity will be in three years.

Comment

People need to separate technology from the filth that is mankind.
            I have no issues with technology. I have issues with man.
            Yeah, yeah. But he is a murderer!
            We are already standing nose deep in a history of horrendous stuff.
            Medicine? To save humans? You really, really do not want to dig into the history of medicine.
            Power? Sure. Wars.
            Computers? Wars.
            Space? Wars.
            Advanced physics? Wars.
            Etc. Ad nauseam.

He deserves whatever the courts decide and probably more.
            In the meantime, I'm pretty sure if the technology is fine, there are people to maintain it.
            Last edited by milkylainen; 22 March 2020, 06:46 AM. Reason: Edit: Remove "human mankind" tautology.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
              He's a murderer. Any Linux contributions he did are insignificant in comparison.
              i do not understand why should we equate both of them.

modern medicine benefits from inhumane research done during the WW2, and nobody bats an eye. Reiser develops a file system, and murders his wife - let's invalidate all his efforts in completely separate field, because his code is somehow tainted with his madness.

I mean, if there is a technical reason against it - sure. But as long as it doesn't infringe on any copyrights, i am okay with it.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                True.
                Hans Reiser and Hellraiser, I have problems distinguishing.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                  Reiser develops a file system, and murders his wife - let's invalidate all his efforts in completely separate field, because his code is somehow tainted with his madness.

I mean, if there is a technical reason against it - sure. But as long as it doesn't infringe on any copyrights, i am okay with it.
                  This.
                  I'm not excusing the guy from anything but there's legal systems designed to punish his crimes.
                  It's stupid to not let him contribute code.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

modern medicine benefits from inhumane research done during the WW2, and nobody bats an eye.
                    torturing people then writing some of it down isn't research, however the idea of incarceration is theoretically rehabilitation, so i wouldn't care if he started writing more code. he was a bit of an arsehole even before he murdered his wife so i doubt he's going to be able to work well with others. kind of a moot point anyway until we see what he wants to do if he gets out in a few years

Comment

Working...
                    X