Microsoft Announces "DirectX 12 Ultimate"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    Ok, Troll. Let's wait to see when the PS5 OS is reverse engineered whether it's graphics drivers are based on AMD's existing graphics drivers...
    They will be based on AMD's existing blob drivers, more similar to Windows than to Linux blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Both DirectX12 and Vulkan were "gaming" since their inception. In the sense of "developed with gaming industry as the main and only target".
      Being intended as something for gaming is not marketing. They have to make it as flashy and obnoxious as they make usual gamer gear.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        They will be based on AMD's existing blob drivers, more similar to Windows than to Linux blobs.
        That would be a funny conclusion, even if you didn't know that AMD's Windows driver is 90% identical to the Linux one. Remember how there was the kerfuffle about the internal abstraction API when AMD first contributed the code to Linux?

We'll see... I'm guessing it'll be mostly the Linux kernel driver, and their RoCM driver (which is OpenSource, but not the one in Mesa).

I don't even see why people are arguing this - we "don't know" at the moment, I'm just picking the most likely scenario based on the publicly available information.

You must at least agree that the Windows driver shares a lot of code with the Linux driver, and of the remaining bits, the Linux one is a better fit for BSD (heck it's being integrated into Dragonfly BSD at the moment)... Do you really think that AMD is putting so much effort into the Linux stack to support the 1% Linux community.... or is it just possible that it'll be used as the basis of PlayStation drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
          Do you really think that AMD is putting so much effort into the Linux stack to support the 1% Linux community.... or is it just possible that it'll be used as the basis of PlayStation drivers?
          linux driver has to be opensourced and upstreamed. windows one doesn't have to. so which environment is more similar to consoles?

Comment

That’s really trollland here. DX12 ultimate is DX12_2 without marketing. Even if I am a pro Vulkan by far, it’s at least nice they upgrade their api feature set. Dx wont die because it’s also their Xbox api and it’s good to keep the competition with Vulkan. I prefer they don’t release it on Linux and keep it closed source because I don’t want to see Dx become a lazy linux proprietary standard.

Comment

That logo says "X11 Ultimate"! Looks like some diehard anti-Wayland laggards are trying to market the old window system, badly.

Comment

Working...
              X