Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    "PS 5 allowing to use Vulkan"

The Nintendo Switch already uses Vulkan (albeit an early version of it). The PS5 is likely to be based on FreeBSD as was the PS4. The odds are extremely high that the driver is going to be based on the AMD Open Source drivers, with a few tweaks.
    I don't see why it should use an opensource driver, AMD can provide and support a closed source one just for them like it did for other consoles, and Vulkan is supported in proprietary drivers too.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I don't see why it should use an opensource driver, AMD can provide and support a closed source one just for them like it did for other consoles, and Vulkan is supported in proprietary drivers too.
      Between the two of you there's an AMDVLK joke in there.

I'm not awake enough to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

? Why would they create another Vulkan driver just for the PS5? Does AMD even have a driver for modern chips other than the one that they contributed to Linux and RocM (which is also mostly shared with Windows and Mac)?

It's already been shown that the PS4 GPU can work with (almost) stock Linux and Mesa...

Comment

I guess even graphics APIs need to be "gaming" these days.

Why haven't they done the right thing and let Khronos group take over this stuff, while maintaining legacy DirectX for compatibility with old software (or even better, using parts of Wine as a compatibility layer)?

Comment

"PS 5 allowing to use Vulkan"

The Nintendo Switch already uses Vulkan (albeit an early version of it). The PS5 is likely to be based on FreeBSD as was the PS4. The odds are extremely high that the driver is going to be based on the AMD Open Source drivers, with a few tweaks.
            Speaking without internal knowledge here, but i find it highly unlikely that any console would use an open source driver. And i don't think the PS5 will use Vulkan either. It will probably use a Sony exclusive proprietary Vulkan variant with additional custom bells and whistles. Perhaps some extensions to utilize that custom SSD controller of theirs in conjuction with the VRAM and procedural loading of scenes. Perhaps Mr Bridgman could enlighten us more, but i think NDAs are a thing, so....

Comment

? Why would they create another Vulkan driver just for the PS5? Does AMD even have a driver for modern chips other than the one that they contributed to Linux and RocM (which is also mostly shared with Windows and Mac)?

It's already been shown that the PS4 GPU can work with (almost) stock Linux and Mesa...
              I am utterly shocked. So let me get this straight: You are claiming that a x86 microprocessor together with GCN gpu can almost work with a modern Linux kernel and Mesa?

Wow, how could this be?

Comment

What's this doing here? I mean: I'm not against these kind of articles, but normally other people on here keep on repeating that this is a Linux/BSD-only news site...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

I am utterly shocked. So let me get this straight: You are claiming that a x86 microprocessor together with GCN gpu can almost work with a modern Linux kernel and Mesa?

Wow, how could this be?
                  Ok, Troll. Let's wait to see when the PS5 OS is reverse engineered whether it's graphics drivers are based on AMD's existing graphics drivers... And if it provides the industry standard Vulkan graphics library, whose standards body Sony and AMD are a member of. If it doesn't I'll apologise for my massive lack of technical understanding. I doubt you'd be capable of showing humility if I'm correct.

Comment

? Why would they create another Vulkan driver just for the PS5?
                    Who said they need to make a new Vulkan driver. If they do a blob they can shove in it whatever code they want, even straight from Windows aka "the master race gaming platform", like NVIDIA does (also for BSD).

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                      I guess even graphics APIs need to be "gaming" these days.
                      Both DirectX12 and Vulkan were "gaming" since their inception. In the sense of "developed with gaming industry as the main and only target".

Why haven't they done the right thing and let Khronos group take over this stuff, while maintaining legacy DirectX for compatibility with old software (or even better, using parts of Wine as a compatibility layer)?
                      Vendor lock-in, duh!

Comment

Working...
                      X