The New Microsoft exFAT File-System Driver Is Set To Land With Linux 5.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Microsoft exFAT File-System Driver Is Set To Land With Linux 5.7

Phoronix: The New Microsoft exFAT File-System Driver Is Set To Land With Linux 5.7

Linux 5.4 brought a preliminary Microsoft exFAT file-system driver after Microsoft made the exFAT specification public and encouraged the support for Linux. But with the Linux 5.7 kernel this spring, a new exFAT file-system driver is going to land that is a much improved version of the earlier code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since Microsoft's blessing last year of opening up the exFAT technical specification
    "Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes"

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes"
      Boogie boogie woogie waka waka.

Comment

The title is a bit misleading, it suggests Microsoft contributed the driver.

Also they never contributed the patents to OIN, so using this driver without a patent agreement is still problematic.

Comment

can i install linux in exFAT driver so i can access it in dual boot without third party program ?

Comment

Originally posted by johannesburgel View Post
            using this driver without a patent agreement is still problematic.
            This seems like baseless FUD to me.

Microsoft has stated that they want exFat in the kernel, and have worked with the Linux Foundation on this. Are you telling us that they have tricked everyone except you into believing that it is ok to integrate an exFat driver?

Just look at Microsoft's exFat licensing page:
            exFAT as part of the Linux kernel

In August 2019 Microsoft announced its support for integrating exFAT into the Linux kernel (blog post). Devices using this code are covered under the GPLv2 license. More info on the specific code can be found here.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
              can i install linux in exFAT driver so i can access it in dual boot without third party program ?
              Afaik no, Linux system can only be installed in file systems that provide modern features (ext2-3-4, xfs, and so on). exFAT is too light and simple for that.
              You can use exFAT for a data partition though.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Afaik no, Linux system can only be installed in file systems that provide modern features (ext2-3-4, xfs, and so on). exFAT is too light and simple for that.
                You can use exFAT for a data partition though.
                thanks i'm new to linux and used Ext2Fsd to access ext4 partition but i went lazy solutions

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
                  This seems like baseless FUD to me.

Microsoft has stated that they want exFat in the kernel, and have worked with the Linux Foundation on this. Are you telling us that they have tricked everyone except you into believing that it is ok to integrate an exFat driver?

Just look at Microsoft's exFat licensing page:
                  Wasn't this the same Microsoft that was suing all Android phone manufacturers for patent infringement? You might had forgotten that, but I do not.

And that is only the tip of the iceberg. I watched them crapping all over the Linux ecosystem over the past 20 years (remember SCO suing with MS money?). I'm not the type that received that shit in the face, and open my arms to receive them like a good old friend the next day.

BTW, they can start the "forgive and forget" steps by not erasing my Linux install (during Windows install) and putting a EXT4 driver on Windows for yesterday. Otherwise they are still the same bastards they always were, hiding behind a smiley face. "MS loves Linux" my ass.

Comment

For your information, exFAT is an important file system, because its widely adopted and does not have the limits of FAT32.

When someone wants to transfer files between Mac, Windoze and Linux systems, its the ONLY file system that all three of them fully support (read/write) AND has support for large file storage (FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit, exFAT has no such limit).

Under Fedora/CentOS, exFAT commands (mkfs.exfat, etc) come with the exfat-utils package.

Comment

Working...
                    X