Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org/FreeDesktop.org Is Looking For Sponsors Or May Have To Cut Continuous Integration Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by royce View Post
    It must be horrible for people not having to worry about a hospital visit bankrupting them. Or having a month's paid holiday every year. Maternity and paternity leave. Sick pay. Getting shot by a random cop.
    There is good and bad in both situations. Taxes are at completely insane levels, 50% or more of your income (directly or indirectly) ends up somewhere else and you usually get only as much as you need to feed and pay for a mortgage.

Most even remotely dangerous stuff is regulated into the fucking ground so it's either completely unfeasible to do or you are nearly always doing it somehow illegally.

Police is still not particularly useful but they are less trigger-happy.

So yeah, you don't usually live a great life here either, it's only "less bad".

Comment

For the record, my income tax averages at around 30% in the UK on a top 5% salary. This 50% tax thing is only true in scandinavia and France for people earning 7 figure salaries.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
        For the record, my income tax averages at around 30% in the UK on a top 5% salary. This 50% tax thing is only true in scandinavia and France for people earning 7 figure salaries.
        As I said, I'm talking of direct and indirect, not just "income tax" alone. There is stuff for the car, stuff for the house, stuff for the garbage disposal, stuff for the electric bill, the fee to pay for the national TV channels, and so on and so forth. Half of what I pay in automotive fuel is actually a tax and goes to the state, and that's already something that would cause riots in the US.

And other states that take 40% on normal people's income so it starts high enough already. It's usually the states with high tax evasion and state debt, the so-called PIGS (Portugal Italy Greece Spain)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          As I said, I'm talking of direct and indirect, not just "income tax" alone. There is stuff for the car, stuff for the house, stuff for the garbage disposal, stuff for the electric bill, the fee to pay for the national TV channels, and so on and so forth. Half of what I pay in automotive fuel is actually a tax and goes to the state, and that's already something that would cause riots in the US.

And other states that take 40% on normal people's income so it starts high enough already. It's usually the states with high tax evasion and state debt, the so-called PIGS (Portugal Italy Greece Spain)
          And you're (probably?) not living in Slovakia,... And, I can't say we have here great public services and healthcare,...

Common starting Junior developer salary is net 850€, where employer pays for you 1500€ including all taxes, therefore 43% goes down from brutto salary,... Senior's salary starts at net 1350€ (brutto 2475€, tax 45.5%),... And, then add VAT 20%,... That would make only 45% (57% * 80%) of money to make through the circle,...

So much corruption in our state,... Even, politician(s) have ordered murder of journalist, who discovered huge money leaks from state's (people's) finances,...
          Last edited by Guest; 28 February 2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

And my income tax on $150,000/year is nominal 13%.

Regarding Xorg pricing: “play stupid games, win stupid prizes”. I can get them free web hosting, git hosting, and CI hosting, but because the platform isn’t OSS (even though the platform is open) they shun it.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post
              And my income tax on $150,000/year is nominal 13%.

Regarding Xorg pricing: “play stupid games, win stupid prizes”. I can get them free web hosting, git hosting, and CI hosting, but because the platform isn’t OSS (even though the platform is open) they shun it.
              And,.. Is any cloud OSS? Besides the ability to run own virtualized guest OS, I doubt host systems and whole ecosystem is OSS based....

Comment

Putting your vital infrastructure on hardware that someone else owns and controls, with no locally-controlled server that pushes to the external system, is always a Class A Bad Idea.

Letting people handwave away concerns about sustainability, a Class S Mistake.

If I were the owner, and the X.org/freedesktop.org foundation my company, everyone involved would be at least either getting demoted, or having their pay raises canceled for the year.

This was that bad a decision, even without the knowledge this would definitely happen. You don't ignore a pre-mortem with "catastrophic failure due to foreseeable insolvency" results.

Given that the freedesktop.org standards -- as much as lazy and stupid programmers ignore them -- are pretty much the only thing holding this chaotic mess together enough for us to get any apps ported to Linux systems, to say nothing of X.org and XWayland's critical nature, endangering the solvency of the Foundation like this deserves permanent black marks on the records of everyone involved.

Comment

Xorg seems administered by Lemmings. Seriously, their issues are so ridiculous that should be themes for a new The IT Crowd season.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
                    If I were the owner, and the X.org/freedesktop.org foundation my company, everyone involved would be at least either getting demoted, or having their pay raises canceled for the year.
                    Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
                    <...> endangering the solvency of the Foundation like this deserves permanent black marks on the records of everyone involved.
                    It's always so hilarious to read comments of those armchair business owners.

Probably even more than armchair software architects.
                    Last edited by intelfx; 01 March 2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
                      It's always so hilarious to read comments of those armchair business owners.

Probably even more than armchair software architects.
                      Laugh it up, bub, they're responsible for a critical part of the software stack, and they made multiple bad decisions which endangered the organization which manages it.

Doesn't take a Business Science degree to recognize a cascade of mistakes which have inconvenienced former employers (cloud dependence with no local buffer or backup) combined with ones which are blatant bad decision process (lack of pre mortem from a dedicated devil's advocate type, and ignoring/handwaving-away serious concerns about financial sustainability).

What, didn't think I knew something of what I was talking about?

Take your armchair social commentary and professional hypocrisy elsewhere, before someone finds another execution flaw in your speculation, intelfx.

Comment

Working...
                      X