Apache Celebrates Subversion's 20th Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
    Sounds like you are confusing SVN with CVS. If not then you cannot with a straight face say that it's better to have no version control at all.
    No, the only way CVS is worse than having no version control is if it's badly misused by someone who really doesn't understand it.

I used CVS for about 10 years. It's a fairly simple tool and, once you understand it, could be used well for small & medium -sized projects. It does have serious limitations, though, like directories not being version-controlled.

If you want to talk about garbage source control, let's talk Microsoft Source (un)Safe. My team thanked me, when I switched them over from it to CVS.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Git can also handle large files through the Git Large File Storage (LFS) extension developed by GitHub. The way it works is that it replaces large files such as audio samples, videos, datasets, and graphics with text pointers inside Git, while storing the file contents on a remote server like GitHub.com or GitHub Enterprise.
      Modern SVN also is really questionable with large file support. You have files separately stored in as pristine files under .svn, then under your checkout. So if your storage is say 40GB, it will take 80GB on disk. There are *far* saner binary storage options these days.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        No, the only way CVS is worse than having no version control is if it's badly misused by someone who really doesn't understand it.

I used CVS for about 10 years. It's a fairly simple tool and, once you understand it, could be used well for small & medium -sized projects. It does have serious limitations, though, like directories not being version-controlled.

If you want to talk about garbage source control, let's talk Microsoft Source (un)Safe. My team thanked me, when I switched them over from it to CVS.
        MS Source Safe was pure garbage yes. I experienced that shit on my first employer, if you came in very early in the morning you could always find the CTO in the server room restoring the whole source tree from backups. Apparently we had almost daily corruptions (if I remember correctly then if the windows network share glitched for any reason during a checkin then it trashed the whole source tree).

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Are you a BSD user too?
          And I assume that you only drive a 8 wheeler truck to work since it can carry so much more load than a normal car, not that you ever will carry that much load but just because it can?

Comment

Originally posted by bavay View Post
            I must admit it: I totally hate it. I find that it is all very confusing, I have the feeling I don't have any good overview of how the project evolves anymore, etc
            git will outlive Linux, it's arguably Linus's bigger contribution to civilization. But it's undeniably a bear to wrestle with. I used it for my own projects and a couple of minor local tweaks to open source and thought I was doing OK. Then my first paid work with it was a long-lived feature branch of a fast-changing project organized into back-end, front-end, and asset commits that were all getting separate reviews on gerrit, and it was hell. Two senior developers who helped me recover after failed merges from origin master and squash commit rewriting told me they didn't really understand git until they read its source code. !!!

git does stuff that is conceptually and operationally hard. There is no easy way, there are only guides to simple use, opinionated guides to using it correctly, complicated guides to solving problems, and its source code. Make sure you have a great shell prompt that shows your current branch and status, be organized, and remember that git and your editor are the two most important tools you use, so the time you invest is worth it.

Comment

And I assume that you only drive a 8 wheeler truck to work since it can carry so much more load than a normal car, not that you ever will carry that much load but just because it can?
              I'm a giant and bearded man, so I drive daily a 8 wheeler truck to work.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I'm a giant and bearded man, so I drive daily a 8 wheeler truck to work.
                I'm a (most likely) larger giant (not that long beard though) and I don't drive an 8 wheeler to work.

Comment

I'm a (most likely) larger giant (not that long beard though) and I don't drive an 8 wheeler to work.
                  I'm having trouble with this phrase. I can see 6-wheeled and 10-wheeled vehicles, but if we're counting dualies as two wheels, then I don't know what "an 8 wheeler" would look like.

And if we're not, then 4 axles is quite a lot.
                  Last edited by coder; 06 March 2020, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    I'm having trouble with this phrase. I can see 6-wheeled and 10-wheeled vehicles, but if we're counting dualies as two wheels, then I don't know what "an 8 wheeler" would look like.

And if we're not, then 4 axles is quite a lot.
                    Yes that is a 8 wheeler truck. Why would you count each wheel pair as one wheel, do you actually think of a normal sedan as a two wheeler ?

Comment

Yes that is a 8 wheeler truck. Why would you count each wheel pair as one wheel,
                      If you look closely, there are duallies on that truck. I think it's not me counting wheel pairs as one wheel.

do you actually think of a normal sedan as a two wheeler ?
                      No, it's a two-axle vehicle. In transportation regulations, I believe it's common to classify vehicles by the number of axles.

Anyway, thanks for answering. After seeing this, my interest in the subject is piqued:

Comment

Working...
                      X