Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rene View Post
    where most users either need to use a GUI frontend
    You know basic SVN users that don't need a GUI frontend? please tell me more, because everyone is either using a GUI or a document/script with a few commands they assembled by looking at the manual (how CLI interfaces are actually used by non-neckbeards in the field).
    try to write a substation contribution to the open source landscape before hating others people major .projects, ..! ;-)
    (not so) little known fact: Torvalds wrote Git because he was not satisfied with other existing version control systems

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      (not so) little known fact: Torvalds wrote Git because he was not satisfied with other existing version control systems
      I'm certainly aware of that. IMHO Git needs to be rewritten with a less cryptic and sane command line interface that is actually usable by humans.

Comment

I'm certainly aware of that. IMHO Git needs to be rewritten with a less cryptic and sane command line interface that is actually usable by humans.
        git CLI is actually usable by humans. It's just that git has so many functionality that you have a boatload of options, and you have to hit the manual in any case.
        There is a reason if CLI isn't the be-all end-all of interfaces.

The same can be said for much simpler (but still complex) tools like tar. Relevant xkcd comic for proof:

Comment

git CLI is actually usable by humans. It's just that git has so many functionality that you have a boatload of options, and you have to hit the manual in any case.
          There is a reason if CLI isn't the be-all end-all of interfaces.

The same can be said for much simpler (but still complex) tools like tar. Relevant xkcd comic for proof:

that is indeed the perfect comic for git ;-)

Comment

that is indeed the perfect comic for git ;-)
            yeah but it is actually about tar (and not about git) so it is proving my point (about all complex CLI tools being hard to use due to how CLI intrinsically is), not yours (that Git is somehow bad or worse than most CLI tools).

Comment

True but at the same time if a GUI exposed all of the functionality that the git cli command can, the interface would be much less "user-friendly". Likewise I don't think it is even possible for a GUI to expose all the functionality of tar. The chosen GUI toolkit will probably reach end of life before it becomes feature complete XD

Cutting out functionality for ease of use is a mistake IMO. Spend the time getting good at the complex tool rather than looking for shortcuts or plugins.

But like I said earlier. Git really is overkill for a small team. Subversion (and the simpler cli tool) is probably the answer. Git was created for Linux, not for your project.
              Last edited by kpedersen; 27 February 2020, 11:43 AM.

Comment

yeah but it is actually about tar (and not about git) so it is proving my point (about all complex CLI tools being hard to use due to how CLI intrinsically is), not yours (that Git is somehow bad or worse than most CLI tools).
                you are a funny one, I obviously can read and understood it was meant for tar. It is still the perfect, and better match for git. Honestly though, I never had a problem with tar, cpis's -i vs. -o is more trial'n error than general tar use though.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                  20 years is definitely a long time in the world of software, but when it's software me and so many other have had bad experiences with it's just way too long for it to not have gone the way of the dodo bird.

I'm really not kidding about how much I despise SVN after having used it in a few projects. It's barely better than having no version control at all (which I unfortunately have both seen and rectified in a professional environment).
                  I too don't like SVN. But at least it's better than CVS and Mercurial.
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 27 February 2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I too don't like SVN. But at least it's better than CVS and Mercurial.
                    Mercurial is definitely better then SVN.

Comment

CVS and I, that never went too well. I really liked svn when it came out, it worked a lot better, and was much less errorprone on merging and daily usage. Nowadays I don't look back, using git for every project currently. Small ones, bigger ones, it's really one size fits all. Subversion should still be praised, it was a huge step in the right direction from former solutions, even if it's replaced by much better alternatives today.

Comment

Working...
                      X