Imagination Working On A New Open-Source Linux Graphics Driver Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagination Working On A New Open-Source Linux Graphics Driver Project

Phoronix: Imagination Working On A New Open-Source Linux Graphics Driver Project

While many in the Linux community still cringe when hearing Imagination Tech's PowerVR given the troubling state of their graphics drivers over the years, in 2020 it looks like they are pursuing a new open-source graphics driver project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tildearrow
    ...really? How come do they want open-source now?
    PR. What else? It certainly can't be a sudden change of heart, unfortunately. But if it actually works out this time, I personally am not going to complain.

Comment

I am investing in popcorn futures!

Comment

this will again result in nothing. If they would just have released register level specifications we would have already a fine open source driver a decade ago. Wonder why they still don't want to do that and have skilled people work on this. Also. even if this employee gets something working, it will be a pain to maintain without any open specifications.

Comment

Hopefully something does come of it, and hopefully along with a viable driver they document what and why along the way.

That would go a long way in making some otherwise nice boards useful. I've wanted a BeagleBoard X-15 for a long while because of its built in DSP cores, but I've never bought one because the graphics system uses PowerVR and the drivers for those are awful to non-existent.

Comment

They have to get with the times, open source is important now and they need to adapt to survive and that means adopting open source. Apple dumped them. Previously they didn't have to do anything because Apple was a huge customer they made them stay a float, now without Apple they need to do some changes to stay relevant.

Comment

Their biggest former customer (apple) uses his own hardware, so they ll have to fish for others I guess

Comment

Imagination could use all the business they can get. If open-source GPU drivers would mean more adoption in RISC-V boards, that could be a good motivator for them. We can only hope.

Comment

That’s cool, but remember to put your cash where support exists rather than has a pipe dream.

it only takes the number of customers to make OS drivers a reality. you too can help “guide the decision process”...

Comment

I won't buy anything with their chips/IP in it till the drivers are working. Promises are not enough.
                    Been bitten by that too many times.

Comment

Working...
                    X