Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learn More About Systemd-Homed For How Linux Home Directories Are Being Reinvented

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    in other words, your choice is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_pigs
    There are "dancing pigs" (from Wikipedia) and "monkeys" (from me).

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

You probably think that Linux is mostly volunteer work. It isn't. It's mostly commercial and that's a good thing. Neither GNU or Linux has ever been a communist project. In fact GNU and the FSF recommends against giving away software free of charge. Because developers need money. Linux has always been intended to be free of charge, but has never been anti-commercial.
      "You probably think that Linux is mostly volunteer work.": We all should think about that. If you, developer, think your job has became too heavy for you, let someone else continue your tasks.

"It's mostly commercial and that's a good thing.": Well, what is commercial? Many companies sell services, but services rely on the O.S. they use. Controlling the O.S. (e.g. Google control Android which is free [in the meaning of "no cost"]) means controlling the services they offer. It's a fact that Windows 10 is almost free, because Microsoft has almost no control over portable and wearable devices. The traditional PC will die shortly. For me free means freedom, but there is no freedom if the community has no control at all. I know it is very hard or impossible to have such community so a compromise is necessary. But never let commercial companies to decide for us. Wayland is been developing since 2007. Too long time. That's because they don't know how to force people to abandon the old way. 13 years are much more than enough for a Xserver rewriting. Compositing is the same as lights for moths.
      Last edited by Guest; 07 February 2020, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        https isn't a VPN, the only traffic that is encrypted is the important parts (communication to/from the server). Most of the actual page content is still sent over http.
        Yes, because cookies and other infos send back by the browsers must be read only by the web page owner and by the developers. Spying is everywhere.

Maybe you forget all those companies that invested billions of dollars over decades to make Linux world great with all their paid developers work.

I don't care. I need a tool that works well, and these people alone are insufficient to deliver it.
        Yes, I know. Is that the price they pay to get the control, for you? Eating more today means eating less tomorrow. Good luck.
        Last edited by Guest; 07 February 2020, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          I'm watching the video. This all seems Microsoft-ish in the extreme.
          So?

Just because Windows/macOS can do something, doesn't mean that Linux shouldn't do it.

How Windows handles things like roaming profiles is still far beyond what we can do on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
            Yes, because cockies and other infos send back by the browsers must be read only by the web page owner and by the developers.
            No dumbass, when you write text in fields and press buttons on a webpage the information must be transmitted back to the server. How do you think it works when you press "post reply" button on this very forum for example? Does your PC shoot out a pidgeon or something?

Is that the price they pay to get the control, for you?
            What does this even mean?

Eating more today means eating less tomorrow.
            If it wasn't for their involvement we would all be using Windows and Linux would still be a hobby OS like Redox or Haiku, now stop posting bs.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              Just because Windows/macOS can do something, doesn't mean that Linux shouldn't do it.
              But... But... Linux can do it too with some 300-400 LoC of shell script and a neckbeard writing them.

Why having good things when you can hack together shit with shell scripts.

Comment

No dumbass, when you write text in fields and press buttons on a webpage the information must be transmitted back to the server. How do you think it works when you press "post reply" button on this very forum for example? Does your PC shoot out a pidgeon or something?

What does this even mean?

If it wasn't for their involvement we would all be using Windows and Linux would still be a hobby OS like Redox or Haiku, now stop posting bs.
                Well, just my opinion. I think you are a naive person.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

So?

How Windows handles things like roaming profiles is still far beyond what we can do on Linux.
                  I'm not sure you get what I'm saying. Either that or you do get it and you approve of the problem that's being created. Modern Windows is designed from the ground up as a corporate-centric platform, where individual needs and wants are subservient to the needs of the corporation. It results in a sterile, miserable desktop computing experience. Yet it is consistent and easy to administer from a central point of control.

Seems that systemd is an attempt to move whole-hog in that same direction.

Sit down sometime and try to enjoy Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop, or RHEL Desktop. It's completely stifling and painful to the end user. That seems to be the end goal here. And yet, there's really no reason for it. We already have Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop and RHEL Desktop. If this type of consistent, easy to administer, miserable desktop experience is what you want, it already exists. It seems that the way Lennart describes his vision, that systemd is a solution looking for a problem.

I have a bad feeling that 5-10 years from now, we're going to be looking back at this entire systemd experiment as a complete waste of time and effort.

Comment

Well, just my opinion. I think you are a naive person.
                    He is not naive. He is a troll. Watch his next move - with his 13,000 posts, he will complain that you with your 189 posts spout off too often.

Comment

Well, just my opinion.
                      Just telling you that you are posting bullshit

I think you are a naive person.
                      Says the guy that thinks Linux was made as big as it is by volunteers

Comment

Working...
                      X