Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learn More About Systemd-Homed For How Linux Home Directories Are Being Reinvented

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    I'm not sure you get what I'm saying. Either that or you do get it and you approve of the problem that's being created. Modern Windows is designed from the ground up as a corporate-centric platform, where individual needs and wants are subservient to the needs of the corporation. It results in a sterile, miserable desktop computing experience. Yet it is consistent and easy to administer from a central point of control.
    Of all plausible reasons to say windows is garbage you chose to say it is garbage because it has an OPTIONAL feature to be integrated in a fleet with a central control point?

    Sit down sometime and try to enjoy Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop, or RHEL Desktop. It's completely stifling and painful to the end user.
    SLED is basically OpenSUSE Leap, and I don't see how you can claim with a straight face that it is stifling and painful.

    Ah yes, you just claimed Windows is miserable because of an OPTIONAL feature that allows central control in a fleet.

    I have a bad feeling that 5-10 years from now, we're going to be looking back at this entire systemd experiment as a complete waste of time and effort.
    Nah, it will probably subside just like PulseAudio did, now it's in the background and most people don't even care about it anymore.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      He is not naive. He is a troll.
      I'm not naive. I'm not a troll. I'm the best troll, the troll you always tried and never managed to be. The dream, the man, the troll.

      Fear me mortals

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Of all plausible reasons to say windows is garbage you chose to say it is garbage because it has an OPTIONAL feature to be integrated in a fleet with a central control point?

        SLED is basically OpenSUSE Leap, and I don't see how you can claim with a straight face that it is stifling and painful.
        Just one tiny optional feature? No, my worlds-greatest-troll friend, Windows is built from the ground up for the pure purpose of sucking the life out of corporate drones. Anything else you manage to do with it is due only to user ingenuity.

        And I've used Leap. I have the scars to prove it. My face is very straight.

        Comment


        • #34
          Is it just me, or is this thread hard to follow ?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by andyprough View Post

            Just one tiny optional feature? No, my worlds-greatest-troll friend, Windows is built from the ground up for the pure purpose of sucking the life out of corporate drones. Anything else you manage to do with it is due only to user ingenuity.

            And I've used Leap. I have the scars to prove it. My face is very straight.


            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
              As long as I have the option to continue using traditional home directories on my encrypted disk, they can do whatever they please.
              Of course. Just like systemd, you are free to not use it at all. To remove systemd: Step 1 (of 3,567,888)...


              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                I was quite looking forward for this as systemd developers trying to solve another Linux mess, but now after I saw the video with the "Security above everything" including usability, I don't think I will like this.
                Locking the session and not being able to hear the music continuing in background and having the info and buttons to change the song or having a download in background not being possible anymore it's insane.
                I would rather not encrypt home or leave the computer unlocked than to interrupt a possibly long download.
                And how the fuck is more secure to leave someone at your computer with the session completely unlocked so they can change the song in the music player compared to having the session locked and they change the song from the lock screen?
                If thsese usability problems are real than I think it will be way better to leave out the whole Systemd-Homed completely and use Plasma Vaults or Veracrypt to encrypt only the important stuff.
                I think you misunderstood the talk.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Ok boomer, when everyone and their dog is using free wifi hotspots that have no encryption so I can sniff all their traffic and passwords it's an invented problem.


                  What does this communist crap even mean. Software development isn't free. They either find a way to monetize it or we are stuck with barely usable hobby projects. People don't usually donate for something they can get for free.
                  yes the motivation to feed oneself and family is very high. Why some people don’t understand this is beyond me. Why more distros don’t follow in Redhats footsteps, that is make money through services, is beyond me.

                  it is interesting that Linux wins in completely free developer tools, in part I believe that is because the tools will get used through the entirety of a developers career. Thus the developers continue to update and support the software. Contrast this where a lot of other software dies on the vine due to lack of interest. For software to be free the authors have to have a vested interest beyond economics in the software.

                  some other fields come to mind where free software can actually be supportted over the long term as it is a tool not unlike a developer tool for programmers. One example is astronomy. Software developed here is a tool that directly supports the science so it can be supported under the open source model for decades at a time. Ones salary isn’t directly related to the software but yet the software enables the science. So you get ongoing support from the users/developers.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by frank007 View Post

                    Well, just my opinion. I think you are a naive person.
                    Well if we are expressing opinions here I might suggest that you are grossly out of touch. Developers of free software are a flighty bunch. The best thing that has ever happened to Linux is the picking up of professional developers, that is people paid to work on their niche of Linux. It doesn’t matter if that person works at Redhat, Apple or some other organization the fact that they get paid to polish that niche has resulted in massive gains in the Linux domain.

                    ive been using Linux long enough to realize what happens to software where the developer can’t commit himself to the project. There are thousands of projects that died over the years because someone priority has changed. That might be mouths to feed, kids to cloth or even a desire to get back In touch with nature.

                    when your job is in fact software development it is far easier to Shepard a project than some noob donating his time.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

                      Well if we are expressing opinions here I might suggest that you are grossly out of touch. Developers of free software are a flighty bunch. The best thing that has ever happened to Linux is the picking up of professional developers, that is people paid to work on their niche of Linux. It doesn’t matter if that person works at Redhat, Apple or some other organization the fact that they get paid to polish that niche has resulted in massive gains in the Linux domain.

                      ive been using Linux long enough to realize what happens to software where the developer can’t commit himself to the project. There are thousands of projects that died over the years because someone priority has changed. That might be mouths to feed, kids to cloth or even a desire to get back In touch with nature.

                      when your job is in fact software development it is far easier to Shepard a project than some noob donating his time.
                      Please, don't use my words out of context.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X