Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CERN Replacing Facebook Workplace With A Set Of Open-Source Software Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I'm 28 and I'm comfortable with IRC. Granted, I haven't used it much in the past 5 years, but I did use it before then, so I'm experienced. IRC still rules IMHO
    It's fine, nothing wrong with it. But I am 99% sure you're a rarity in your age group.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

You gotta go where the users are, really. I like the Raku (formerly Perl 6) programming language, but their community is on IRC. How many people under age 35 are comfortable with IRC, even in the tech industry?
    I'm 28 and I'm comfortable with IRC. Granted, I haven't used it much in the past 5 years, but I did use it before then, so I'm experienced. IRC still rules IMHO

Leave a comment:

• NateHubbard
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Why did such a significant organization rely on Facebook in the first place?
    Or any organization. But yeah, that's the real question here.

Leave a comment:

• fazalmajid
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    CERN already has a robust internal IT support group necessary just to do their science)
    An understatement. These are the people who invented the Web, after all.

Leave a comment:

• user556
    replied
    So, never attribute to principal what can be adequately explained by pocketbook issues.
    Politically, that still takes balls. Just the lack of comprehension internally will usually stop most organisations from executing on such ideas. They'll find financial saving elsewhere instead.

It'll really come down to CERN being one of the rare places where the users themselves are far more familiar with non-M$ solutions.

Leave a comment:

• ermo
    replied

For CERN, this is at least as much about money as any principles (although for some the principles matter too).

CERN depends on the member orgs to pay for the overheads of the organization, and not surprisingly, the funding tends to be tight (finding money for science is often a hard sell, so the scientists want to spend what money they can get on the science, not the overheads, although they recognize that overheads have to be paid).

Microsoft and Facebook (and others) have been ending certain advantageous pricing offerings that had been previously available to research organizations such as CERN, and regular commercial pricing from those firms makes it worth looking hard at the alternatives (especially since CERN already has a robust internal IT support group necessary just to do their science).

So, never attribute to principles what can be adequately explained by pocketbook issues.
    (emphasis mine)

I'm saving this quote because it is spot on.

The point about IRC having limited appeal (which was put forward further back in the thread) is true too.

Leave a comment:

• insilications
    replied
    Excellent news. Facebook should never be trusted when it comes to privacy.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by Veto View Post
    Yay! CERN - finally an organization with big balls!
    For CERN, this is at least as much about money as any principals (although for some the principals matter too). CERN depends on the member orgs to pay for the overheads of the organization, and not surprisingly, the funding tends to be tight (finding money for science is often a hard sell, so the scientists want to spend what money they can get on the science, not the overheads, although they recognize that overheads have to be paid). Microsoft and Facebook (and others) have been ending certain advantageous pricing offerings that had been previously available to research organizations such as CERN, and regular commercial pricing from those firms makes it worth looking hard at the alternatives (especially since CERN already has a robust internal IT support group necessary just to do their science). So, never attribute to principal what can be adequately explained by pocketbook issues.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by onicsis View Post
    And thinking that some Linux distributions are using Facebook or Reddit for support, as replacement for classic forums or even mailing lists
    You gotta go where the users are, really. I like the Raku (formerly Perl 6) programming language, but their community is on IRC. How many people under age 35 are comfortable with IRC, even in the tech industry?

Leave a comment:

• onicsis
    replied
    And thinking that some Linux distributions are using Facebook or Reddit for support, as replacement for classic forums or even mailing lists

Leave a comment:

Working...
X