No announcement yet.

Systemd-Homed Merged As A Fundamental Change To Linux Home Directories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does it support CIFS but not NFS? I've seen ten times as many companies mounting *nix users home directories from NFS than from CIFS.

Comment

• I don't think I've heard anybody state, Emacs can do this, the task SystemD-Homed is trying to perform? If so, I don't think Emacs will live very much longer with this stiff SystemD competition!

The slang name even sounds vulgar to me... sounds like somebody home-runned your box!

Comment

• Originally posted by brouhaha View Post
        Why does it support CIFS but not NFS? I've seen ten times as many companies mounting *nix users home directories from NFS than from CIFS.
        It's not trying to replace the existing types of home dir management, it's just adding some new options. Maybe NFS support is coming later. Or maybe they didn't see any value in adding explicit support for it to homed when NFS admins can just keep doing what they've always done.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogerx View Post
          I don't think I've heard anybody state, Emacs can do this, the task SystemD-Homed is trying to perform? If so, I don't think Emacs will live very much longer with this stiff SystemD competition!
          I believe it's "M-x mount-home-dir C-m C-x C-h C-d M-p h" in Emacs.

Comment

• Originally posted by xinorom View Post

It's not trying to replace the existing types of home dir management,
            SystemD not trying to replace something? That's a first!
            :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              I don't see Poettering adding support for a non-native Linux filesystem unless someone else does it.
              CIFS support is already there, and that's a non-native filesystem.

Comment

• I can't believe there are people who still call it "SystemD".

Come on, the name is "systemd".

Comment

• Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

It seems you just waked up... I was replying to another person and you missed completely the context but let me fixing it:
                  Right on both accounts, sorry about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    I can't believe there are people who still call it "SystemD".

Come on, the name is "systemd".
                    I prefer the former because it's easier to read fast. I write it like the latter because of systemd Nazis, but I prefer the former and wish Lennart would have named it that way.

Is carrying the case sensitivity from the binaries to the projects' names really necessary?

Comment

• Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      Is carrying the case sensitivity from the binaries to the projects' names really necessary?
                      When the name is based on decades old tradition, it kind of is, yes.

Comment

Working...
                      X