Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thunderbird Mail Client Now Being Pushed Along By "MZLA Technologies Corporation"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    Outlook:
    What a mess. I don't know how people use this at all. It's utterly confusing.. I've seriously tried, I have no idea what Microsoft is doing.. it's almost like they have never seen another email client before or spend all day looking at it and think it's normal. I swear nothing is where it should be, the ribbon is practically useless and overwhelms the user with options they will never use and actually important objects are thrown all over the window or hidden in the frames. It also hackes up the syntax of the messages and even hides parts of it (like gpg) from the user. 100% trash. Reminds me of Lotus Notes, only worse.
    Not only that, but we've recently discovered that Outlook 365 2016+ will automatically convert your MIME attachments to Microsoft OneDrive Cloud links, and there's no way to disable this "feature". Worse than that, if you use Outlook 2016+ to talk to a non-Exchange IMAP server, Outlook silently discards attachments! You literally cannot send attachments using Outlook 2016+ talking to a non-Exchange IMAP server! Yet Microsoft still claims Outlook can be used as a standard IMAP client... utter rubbish.

To make things even more confusing, if you have Outlook 2016 with an early 2016 patch level, attachments will be sent as normal MIME attachments and everything works. If you have outlook 2016 with a late 2016 patch level, attachments are converted to OneDrive Cloud links *by default* and there's no way to disable it or downgrade. F U Microsoft.

The workaround for this, according to Microsoft, is to browse the hideous ribbon, and select "Attach as a Copy" rather than click the normal "Attach" button. Yes, Microsoft broke people's workflow within the same version (2016) of a product. Pure idiocy. We have custom software that uses Microsoft API's to send emails using Outlook... our software is now broken, and requires the vendor to build a new version using the "Attach as a Copy" API function. Microsoft....... ugh.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 29 January 2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      Not only that, but we've recently discovered that Outlook 365 2016+ will automatically convert your MIME attachments to Microsoft OneDrive Cloud links, and there's no way to disable this "feature". Worse than that, if you use Outlook 2016+ to talk to a non-Exchange IMAP server, Outlook silently discards attachments! You literally cannot send attachments using Outlook 2016+ talking to a non-Exchange IMAP server! Yet Microsoft still claims Outlook can be used as a standard IMAP client... utter rubbish.

To make things even more confusing, if you have Outlook 2016 with an early 2016 patch level, attachments will be sent as normal MIME attachments and everything works. If you have outlook 2016 with a late 2016 patch level, attachments are converted to OneDrive Cloud links *by default* and there's no way to disable it or downgrade. F U Microsoft.

The workaround for this, according to Microsoft, is to browse the hideous ribbon, and select "Attach as a Copy" rather than click the normal "Attach" button. Yes, Microsoft broke people's workflow within the same version (2016) of a product. Pure idiocy. We have custom software that uses Microsoft API's to send emails using Outlook... our software is now broken, and requires the vendor to build a new version using the "Attach as a Copy" API function. Microsoft....... ugh.
      Microsoft's Responce: "Dur.. but... why come you don't want OneDrive? It's the bestest ever."

All good buddy.. I'm strange too, I also don't use OneDrive. (And I never will)

Edit: or you know.. maybe it does have a use.. it can store all my adversarial AI training data. Hmm..
      Last edited by k1e0x; 29 January 2020, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post
        Just when my thunderbird broke completely all those years i have been using it. like 5 days ago after system update thunderbird just segfaults for me. It was pain to get a tray area icon for thunderbird for quite some time, since they moved to new extension system or whatever. Had to use the slow birdtray that pulled the CPU quite a bit every rescan. Anyway yeah, lets see what the future will look like for it. Currently i switched to Mailspring cause of thunderbird segfaults.
        That's the new SQLite: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-3.31-Released
        Can you hold that package on an old version?

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          I just checked. I'm on the default and attachments are below each related message, not in a fixed frame. When you have conversations with a few people, you need to scroll through the thread to find each individual attachments. They should be on a fixed panel independent from scrolling.

Thanks for the ReplyWithHeader extension, I will look into it.
          Although I believe you shouldn't need an extension for such a basic concept of clean design.
          I guess you are using the "view this message in thread" mode; top pane has the whole thread, bottom the message you selected in the thread with its attachments, but you'd like to see all attachments from any of the messages in the thread in a single pane?
          Well, not sure I would like it that way, because attachments are...well, attached to a single mail, you would also need a way to recognise the attachment if the same file name has been attached many times in the thread!
          I solve the issue by adding the "attachment" column to the thread view, so mails with an attachment can be recognised by the icon and it's easy to find them quickly. If not enough, i use the quick filter bar to show only messages with an attachment.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            I've provided evidence to support my strongly supported argument. You continue to assert yours, while denying my evidence, and not providing any of your own. Egocentric? Or "just your opinion"? Indeed.
            Still, there is people that like gnome-shell very much, and believe it's a significant improvement over gnome 2. That would include me. So that makes your position, that gnome 3 is worse than gnome 2, an opinion and not a fact. Your opinion is most certainly shared by a lot of other people, but so is mine (this statement is based on the fact that the most prominent GNU/Linux distributions like Ubuntu or Fedora offer Gnome 3 as the default install).

If your position was to be considered an objective fact, based on what I said above you could even conclude I don't exist. Because of this, I side with Mez when he says yours is just a subjective opinion.

On the bright side, I can use gnome-shell while you continue to use mate/xdce/cinnamon/whatever, and Mez uses what pleases him most. I don't see why you care so much to prove everyone should agree with you, even going to the lenght of providing "evidence".

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post

That's the new SQLite: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-3.31-Released
              Can you hold that package on an old version?
              Interesting! That seems to be hitting us (on Ubuntu). Any more info on this?

Comment

My hopes for anything Mozilcuck are VERY low. Thought I don't see how they could possibly screw up a good mail client, so... Let's wait and see ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  This is good news. Thunderbird remains one of the very few email clients for Linux that are actually usable.
                  Boy that is the truth. I know because I've tried all the others that crashed and burned.
                  I've been Linux only for my day to day work for 10 years now. I use TBird and connect via IMAP to the company email. The only thing it lacks is native emulation of Exchange server. There are some plug-in out there for it but not found one that didn't bring TBird to a crawl when running.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post

Boy that is the truth. I know because I've tried all the others that crashed and burned.
                    I've been Linux only for my day to day work for 10 years now. I use TBird and connect via IMAP to the company email. The only thing it lacks is native emulation of Exchange server. There are some plug-in out there for it but not found one that didn't bring TBird to a crawl when running.
                    Davmail is a IMAP to OWA proxy.. Works pretty well.

Linux really needs to get in the game here with domain management. At one company we replaced exchange with Zimbra but it was a serious pulling teeth project to get Zimbra to do LDAP user authentications.. a domain controller it's not intended to be.

Comment

Well, there's also Lotus Notes for an enterprise email client. I used it (on Windows sadly) for a big company some 4-5 years ago.
                      It's not great but it's better than Outlook in any case, especially for booking meeting rooms it was an absolute breeze and better designed compared to Outlook.
                      Overall, while not being great, it was getting the job done and integrated quite well with LDAP for the user directory (don't know if that's correct, I'm not in IT). I guess it could do the same on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X