Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd Is Approaching 1.3 Million Lines While Poettering Lost Top Contributor Spot For 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FPScholten View Post

Well, what sort of cleaning would you like? The great majority of issues are requests for enhancements, not bugs (only 104 bugs on the list). According to git, they are closing/resolving issues at almost the same rate as they are getting new ones.
    So issues on git are not only problems and bugs, but mainly requests for new features, with a few bugs among them.
    Most issues aren't tagged as "bug" are bugs anyway. Reading them is entertaining

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
      In larger projects such as this, while there is initially a fair amount of low hanging fruit, and new development that many can help with, after some point the code becomes sufficiently stable and complex enough that only those with the time, interest, and (often) employer backing, can meaningfully contribute, and some of the past contributors move on to different projects in their organization.

I do not think total number of contributors is necessarily a good metric to determine the health of a project (unless the number starts to drop precipitously), but it is certainly an easy one to produce.
      Could be some of those Outreachy diversity pigeons. Fly in, $h!t all over, commit a few token gesture LoC, then fly off to "contribute" elsewhere.

Comment

I always love to read the comments of those who hate on a "bloated" kernel that includes drivers for likely 80-90% of all hardware in the known universe. They often behave quite like anti-vaxxers. Also, regarding systemd, it very much *is* modular, as many of it's components can be installed individually.

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
          I would like Systemd to clean/close its more than thousand opened issues. That would be a great indicator.
          Perhaps "WONTFIX" will satisfy your request?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            You're absolutely right, systemd is not the problem, in fact, it's the solution. Simply merge the kernel code with systemd. We would call it "Systemd Linux" or just "SUX".

Comment

Michael, please do not use transparent background for graphs. It makes them unreadable for those of us who do CSS replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryTheGravelGuy View Post
                Michael, please do not use transparent background for graphs. It makes them unreadable for those of us who do CSS replacement.
                These are graphs from GitStats and I am using them as is.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

monolithic project? perhaps
                  monolithic computer program? no
                  I sometimes wonder what input the people who are against monolithic projects have about the insane dependency bloat on npm.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GNU Coreutils is ~200K lines and gnulib is ~1.1m

You're going to need to get rid of those too.
                    Easy to fix. All true hackers already switched to L4 kernels. They have built everything using TCC and rely on a cut down minimal debloated core of musl as the C std lib. They've also disabled the -j option in Make since running multiple processes concurrently increases resource usage. Few years ago, I would have suggested using busybox instead of GNU userspace, but now there's toybox, which is both superior when it comes to licenses, and also smaller due to lower number of implemented functionality. A toybox hush shell script suffices as PID 1. So, there are lots of promising new projects. Unfortunately people keep fixing bugs, which usually leads to increases in terms of LOCs, which means we'll soon have to start again from scratch. I'm totally devastated every time I think how much the coreutils bloat will slow down the next gen 32-core 5 GHz Ryzen 3s with 128 GB of RAM. Having one 4 kB page more free would totally change the world of computing as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by RomuloP View Post
                      Unix Philosophy is my favorite literature in the fantasy category....
                      I put it in the horror literature category.

Comment

Working...
                      X