Debian Developers Decide On Init System Diversity: "Proposal B" Wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
    End users invariably have to understand what networking and registry is and does. I even see facebook moms and dads having to mess with those these days.
    You contradict yourself here. You ramble about Linux being unusable compared to Windows and then you say understanding the registry is required? What kind of garbage OS makes the end-user dive 100 levels deep in a tree of options?

They can be in /etc, they can be in their own folder, their install folder, a completely different folder. Have you ever even had to configure a system before? Windows has these exact same problems 30 years ago before they developed the Registry.
    What are you even talking about? All configuration is done system-wide in /etc and per-user in ~/, if you are editing files in /usr or anywhere else you are doing it wrong. Also what do you mean by "own folder" and "install folder"?

That attitude is exactly why Linux has less than 1% desktop marketshare. You know what? I will go use Windows, thanks. Tell me when Linux gets some standardized APIs to accelerate developers so it can start actually being usable. Until then I don't see much reason to use it over TempleOS.
    So you don't actually use Linux then, makes sense.

I understand that concern, but we've been dealing with that from Linux and GNOME for the past two decades now and neither have been catastrophic.
    Are you not aware that there are plenty of alternatives to Gnome?

Comment

So basically nothing changed

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
        So basically nothing changed
        In practice no, the policy now just matches what was the status quo.

Comment

Originally posted by set135

Hmmm. Show us the maths, dude who made 25% of the posts on this thread so far *insisting* the vote is a fail for systemd, rather than a win for whatever the hell he wants. Seems like sort of a nothingburger status quo result to me....
          Actually if people read the voting results SystemD won by a landslide. Options 1 & 2 are the highest scoring selections.

beyond all of that over the long term it is foolish not to investigate new ideas. However the results clearly indicate that SystemD is the best choice at the moment.

Comment

Yay a whole lot of fuss to not decide anything and not solve any of the goddamn problems. So happy I left for OpenSUSE years ago

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              Actually if people read the voting results SystemD won by a landslide. Options 1 & 2 are the highest scoring selections.
              No goddamnit this isn't a "victory". This is "we keep doing what we were doing until now" which means the issues that pushed them to actually vote and decide to do something will remain (namely having crappy support for both systemd and other inits instead of having GOOD support for a single init)

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                Ive used both and honestly just hope there remains choices in the future incase systemd were to really piss me off someday.

It clearly takes stabs at modern problems and that's great when other options are rusting, bit I'd hate to live in a world where there is only one option and dev monopoly of users like "lol, we are the only option you gotta accepy our outlandish crazy ideas we code in"
                This pretty much reflect what the voting results imply! SystemD is the best choice at the moment but the community wants to keep an open mind.

beyond that there is a real issue with Linux being extremely fractured often due to hurt butts. People really need to focus on developing Linux (at least the leading distros) into something that is of high quality. That can be best achieved by people working together to build a robust system.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

This pretty much reflect what the voting results imply! SystemD is the best choice at the moment but the community wants to keep an open mind.

beyond that there is a real issue with Linux being extremely fractured often due to hurt butts. People really need to focus on developing Linux (at least the leading distros) into something that is of high quality. That can be best achieved by people working together to build a robust system.
                  I DON'T LIKE THE THEME A DISTRO USES SO IM GONNA FORK IT JUST TO CHANGE THE DEFAULT THEME.

half of distros right there.

Comment

Originally posted by jason.oliveira View Post
                    Wow, article's 30 minutes old, and not a single pro-systemd shill in here. Maybe they're taking christmas/new years off?
                    Or maybe it's because they lost? I bet it's because they lost.
                    Lost... what exactly? As if it's an ongoing battle or something lol.

How is allowing alternate init systems beside systemd a systemd loss, exactly? That won't suddenly make systemd go away. You're free to use alternatives, as long as you do all the extra work required for that. No one will do that for ya.

Debian's still just delaying the inevitable. All that happened is that they didn't officially kill the alternatives with fire. They just let them die on their own lol, that approach generates much fewer conflicts with the anti-systemd clowns. The clowns will leave on their own anyway when they realize that alternate init systems don't support themselves, they have to support it, but that takes effort, and they want to just whine and not much else, so there's no one left to do the actual work, end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      No goddamnit this isn't a "victory". This is "we keep doing what we were doing until now" which means the issues that pushed them to actually vote and decide to do something will remain (namely having crappy support for both systemd and other inits instead of having GOOD support for a single init)
                      nobody said anything at all about victory!

as for the “issues” that pushed them frankly that seems to come from the mentally ill half of the community. Let’s face it if you don’t like the direction of one distro there are multiple dozens that others one could consider! Actively undermining the management of any organization for petty reasons just looks childish. If someone dozen like the direction of Fedora, Ubuntu or Debian they should simple go with a distro that reflects their sensibilities.

Comment

Working...
                      X