Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodby Linux - Linux is Locking Kernel Upgrades (DRM by Google for Linux Kernel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodby Linux - Linux is Locking Kernel Upgrades (DRM by Google for Linux Kernel)

After:
    https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10084131/

You will no longer own your machine. Google is adding DRM to the Linux kernel to stop preventing you from upgrading your kernel. You will buy goolge pseudo-laptop,
    or Microsoft DRM glued/pseudo laptop with locked Linux Kernel and that's it. Here is your Linux machine. You will no longer own it. (Did you know that Microsoft is now the "owner" of Linux Foundation and Linus Torvalds is by extension de facto Microsoft's employee and even doesn't own Linux trademark?). Goodby freedom.

Links:
    https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10084131/

This is literally the second post:

Because this just implements one part of the content protection scheme. This only gives you an option to enable HDCP (aka encryption, it's really nothing else) on the cable. Just because it has Content Protection in the name does _not_ mean it is (stand-alone) an effective nor complete content protection scheme. It's simply encrypting data, that's all. If you want to actually lock down a machine to implement content protection, then you need secure boot without unlockable boot-loader and a pile more bits in userspace. If you do all that, only then do you have full content protection. And yes, then you don't really own the machine fully, and I think users who are concerned with being able to update their kernels and be able to exercise their software freedoms already know to avoid such locked down systems.
    And the following posts are just furthering attempting to calm down the paranoia.

I don't understand why Phoronix is flooded with paranoid nutjobs like you, you're acting like some politician acts when they hear the word "encryption". Well, I guess Linux still is a very fringe OS to use casually. People like you definitely don't help that image.

Comment

Who do you work for, Ironmask? We don't nee no stinking DRM-ed drivers in Linux Kernel. Grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by Securitex View Post
        Who do you work for, Ironmask? We don't nee no stinking DRM-ed drivers in Linux Kernel. Grow up.
        It literally says it isn't DRM. I don't know how else to explain it.

Also I'd consider the insult "grow up" to be in conflict with the assertion that I'm employed by some entity, and, thus, over the required age to be employable. Try to select your conjectures more appropriately next time.

Comment

HDCP is required to connect to numerous set top boxes like dvd players or bluray players or cable boxes. So yeah, it makes total sense to make sure it's implemented. It has nothing to do at all with preventing someone from updating their kernel.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-b...ent_Protection
          Last edited by duby229; 01-09-2020, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X