No announcement yet.

Systemd 244 Released With New Init System Features For Black Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What? They haven't yet included the Linux kernel? Darn. What an omission.

Comment

Oh, this is very nice.

I've been running Linux off and on since four or five years after its initial release and I'll never understand the dislike, and sometimes outright hatred and conspiracy theories, surrounding SystemD.

While I do get that some want to stick with the "have everything only do one thing very well" philosophy, like most things in life ideology doesn't always jibe with reality. And in that case reality always wins.

And the reality, at least the one I've experienced, is that SystemD simply has far more functionality, and works better, than any other init system I've ever used.

I understand that others disagree, and I'm all for init freedom, but as I said I don't understand the vehement derision of SystemD. If you don't like it then simply use or create a system without it.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
        Why? Are DHCP requests really that expensive?
        Normal users connect to some router that works fine even if the address is already outdated. It makes the boot experience faster by few seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
          Oh, this is very nice.

I've been running Linux off and on since four or five years after its initial release and I'll never understand the dislike, and sometimes outright hatred and conspiracy theories, surrounding SystemD.

While I do get that some want to stick with the "have everything only do one thing very well" philosophy, like most things in life ideology doesn't always jibe with reality. And in that case reality always wins.

And the reality, at least the one I've experienced, is that SystemD simply has far more functionality, and works better, than any other init system I've ever used.

I understand that others disagree, and I'm all for init freedom, but as I said I don't understand the vehement derision of SystemD. If you don't like it then simply use or create a system without it.
          It's because this community is roughly divided into three groups. There are those who don't care and just want an OS to run the software they need. Then there are those who came to Linux because of FOSS and they want Linux to be a full-blown replacement for Windows and MacOS, but one that respects the four freedoms. And then there are those who came to Linux because of Unix, they want it to be part of a family that also includes BSD and Solaris and perpetuate the tradition, and they resent the push to make it a distinct platform of its own. Systemd is often seen as a symbol of that, but by no means the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

It's because this community is roughly divided into three groups. There are those who don't care and just want an OS to run the software they need. Then there are those who came to Linux because of FOSS and they want Linux to be a full-blown replacement for Windows and MacOS, but one that respects the four freedoms. And then there are those who came to Linux because of Unix, they want it to be part of a family that also includes BSD and Solaris and perpetuate the tradition, and they resent the push to make it a distinct platform of its own. Systemd is often seen as a symbol of that, but by no means the only one.
            Oh wow, I sincerely never knew that jacob, thank you for your response. It still doesn't make any sense to me as I've always thought of Linux as Linux, but it does provide a rational I can at least grasp.

In any case, as far as I'm concerned we should endeavor to make Linux better than anything else.

Comment

At first I hated the idea of systemd and could not understand how any monolithic beast could ever be an improvement over highly traceable bash scripts starting up various services. Over time I've become used to systemd and now really appreciate, for instance, being able to use systemd-networkd on just about any linux distro I care to try. No more python based Canonical netplan crap versus something different on another distro. That, to me, is a real improvement on how system control is managed compared to 5 years ago. Now with the idea of systemd-homed next year I am excited that something that would otherwise NEVER be available across most distros will finally allow me to snapshot my user settings and be able to automatically recreate my entire user config system after an OS reinstall. Not only that but take it a few steps further and allow me to do so across various distro installs and even between different computers. Thank you systemd!

Comment

Candy you forgot Suse

Comment

Oh wow, I sincerely never knew that jacob, thank you for your response. It still doesn't make any sense to me as I've always thought of Linux as Linux, but it does provide a rational I can at least grasp.
                  Btw, in most cases it's the BSD people that have something to lose if Linux forges a path of its own, so all people that can't run stuff on their favourite BSD because it requires Linux API or OS infrastructure or hardware support have actual real-life reasons to be angry, as any win for Linux is usually a loss for them.

It's not just phylosphical "FOSS is a big familiy and we should stick together"

Comment

Originally posted by markc View Post
                    At first I hated the idea of systemd and could not understand how any monolithic beast
                    not monolithic, it's a swarm of daemons that have "systemd" in the name or their name ends with "d", plus some libraries and tools

Comment

By that phylosophy (Unix), script-based init systems are bad, Systemd project is actually following the principles more closely

Comment

Working...
                      X