Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Candy View Post
    Glad that Red Hat is fully controlling the path that Linux takes
    We couldn't hope for a better benevolent overlord.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Glad that IBM is fully controlling the path that system/Dinux takes

Fixed it for you. Is this the part where Microsoft destroys them like they did with OS/2?
      No it all ends with Microsoft buying Canonical and renaming Ubuntu into Microsoft Linux

Comment

Systemd-networkd now retains the DHCP configuration across restarts by default along with various other networkd changes.
        Why? Are DHCP requests really that expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
          It might be useful to try to keep the currently assigned IP address across reboots? In the "Hi, I used to be x.x.x.x, can I have that address again please?" sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

It might be useful to try to keep the currently assigned IP address across reboots? In the "Hi, I used to be x.x.x.x, can I have that address again please?" sense.
            Thats usually done serverside, not on clients. You just need a cheap and available dhcp client.

Comment

If you ever had a lease, you're supposed to REQUEST an address to a known server, not to DISCOVER the world. While DHCP is not, per see, an expensive protocol, a DISCOVER message is still a broadcast that will prompt for an answer from all DHCP servers that receive it - answer to which the client will reply by a REQUEST. So doing a REQUEST instead is going to be cheaper and faster in all cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post

If you ever had a lease, you're supposed to REQUEST an address to a known server, not to DISCOVER the world. While DHCP is not, per see, an expensive protocol, a DISCOVER message is still a broadcast that will prompt for an answer from all DHCP servers that receive it - answer to which the client will reply by a REQUEST. So doing a REQUEST instead is going to be cheaper and faster in all cases.
                Sure, but the broadcast is local to that network segment, the client only waits for the first response, and there should really only be one DHCP server per segment anyway. So the discovery should only take one round trip and a few milliseconds.

Comment

Sure, but the broadcast is local to that network segment, the client only waits for the first response, and there should really only be one DHCP server per segment anyway. So the discovery should only take one round trip and a few milliseconds.
                  I guess this is a problem for large networks. I think you should avoid broadcasts on large networks if possible.

Comment

$10 for a case at Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                      Thats usually done serverside, not on clients. You just need a cheap and available dhcp client.
                      It is slightly more complicated in the real world with larger enterprise and ISP environments, where there are multiple DHCP servers with various failover and/or load sharing configurations, and/or where the lease may have expired, and/or different DHCP server implementations. And in addition, while changing your IP address may not matter for outbound connectivity, if you need to register your new address in DNS for inbound the new association may very well take minutes (or longer, much longer) to propagate through all the caching mechanisms, again, depending on details, in larger real world environments. So *trying* to get the same association as before may not be strictly necessary, it is a useful enhancement.

Comment

Working...
                      X