Glimpse 0.1 Released As The Rebranded Fork Of The GIMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned "git" (the SCM) yet, because unlike "gimp", there was actual intent to use "the git meaning of git".
    Torvalds even joked that he names all his projects after himself.

Comment

The old name was an impediment to FOSS world domination and should be removed as swiftly and mercilessly as any other obstacle. The project creator had a long time to pick a name able to infiltrate corporate environments and failed. I support removing him from the driver's seat, and the GPL provides the means.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
        The old name was an impediment to FOSS world domination and should be removed as swiftly and mercilessly as any other obstacle. The project creator had a long time to pick a name able to infiltrate corporate environments and failed. I support removing him from the driver's seat, and the GPL provides the means.
        You don't really know a single fact about this project, do you?

Removing project creator from the driver's seat, my ass.

Comment

Guys, why are you so p*ssed off? The Glimpse people just did what GIMP asked them to do if they didn't like the name: "[...]Finally, if you still have strong feelings about the name “GIMP”, you should feel free to promote the use of the long form GNU Image Manipulation Program or exercise your software freedom to fork and rebrand GIMP."

General questions Is there a company or a foundation behind GIMP? Can I use GIMP commercially? What’s the GIMP’s license, and how do I comply with it? Someone sold or tried to sell me GIMP on a 3rd party website. Is this legal? Are you trying to develop …

It's perfectly fine. I'm looking forward to the result of this experiment. At least I'll see if GIMP is really such a bad name that it's holding the software back.

Comment

Interesting how talking about tranies makes your comment deleted.

Just like I did in /r/ linux: fuck off!

Comment

Also, you misspelled your slur. It's supposed to have two "n"s.

Comment

If you find the word an acronym spells out is offensive then you're welcome to pronounce it like an acronym; G-I-M-P.

Comment

On their "code of conduct" they write among others the following points:
                  • Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
                  • Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
                  • Focusing on what is best for the community
                  • Showing empathy towards other community members
                  I wonder whether they are able to live up to *their* standards when somebody nicely asks them to shut down that obvious scam project.

Comment

Candidate as the most useless fork 2019...

Comment

It's nice to see a project whose name evoked ugly connotations finally evolve. It's heartbreaking, if unsurprising, to see reactionaries spew their angry noises. All the problems in this burning world, and they are upset to see a derogatory term fade from use because they love dwelling in the cultural equivalent of a raw sewage-filled gutter, one supposes.
                      Last edited by chroma; 25 November 2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X