Glimpse 0.1 Released As The Rebranded Fork Of The GIMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

This is just another sad example of why resisting the progressive agenda is so important. The reality is no matter what one does there will be somebody out there that will take offense. “Glimpse” for example might incite people with a negative attitude with respect to voyeurs.

we often hear the term slippery slope and then dismiss it as being an over reaction to a simple adjustment. The problem is the slope is real and the slide down it will lead to no freedom at all to speak your mind.
    This has nothing to do with being progressive.

Comment

In a couple of years someone will claim that glimpse is offensive (God forbid someone should catch a glimpse of someones breasts) they will probably implement algorithms for detecting pictures of nude or other "offensive" stuff and prevent editing it. This has gone to far. Why is it a competition to be offended these days? Stop being offended for nothing and grow a thicker skin for crying out loud! Aaaaaaargh!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I'm surprised nobody mentioned "git" (the SCM) yet, because unlike "gimp", there was actual intent to use "the git meaning of git".

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
          On the one hand... lol. On the other hand after years of people masturbating to themselves about how horrible the name was... someone finally actually went through with it.
          Seems like a win-win to me. They're not bothering the gimp project anymore about the name, and either waste their time because renaming is useless, or they prove that the name was a problem.

Comment

I was wondering who the hell these people are putting their name on some else's work before they've changed a single line of code and are already begging for money on patreon.

When I found out they're some Gnome muppets I had a "Aaah... That makes sense"-moment much like Moss from The IT Crowd after the fire extinguisher caught fire and he found "Made in Britain" written on the side of it.
            Last edited by L_A_G; 23 November 2019, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Reading more about it, it seems that these people never contributed to GIMP, but yet they steal funds from this open source project only by exploiting the social media outrage for these dumb things.

Comment

They should've renamed it to PIG (Professional Image Gimping). That way, everybody would be happy.

Comment

"Why don't you rename GIMP?", people said.

"Don't you know how to use sed?", people said.

"You lot are just ableist bigots!", people said.

Turns out, it takes 4 months and 10 people to rebrand GIMP. A taskforce that does nothing else but rebranding. And they have barely scratched the surface of what it takes to rebrand a project like GIMP.

As a GIMP contributor, I'm kinda glad this happened. People don't always understand what rebranding really means and how much effort it takes. This is a great example for future generations.

Comment

<quote> I can guarantee you that they're not going to put something called GIMP on the list of available software to install</quote>

​​​​​​Odd statement, mye last two places of work GIMP is awalible in the software store. Both multinational companies, one quite large. The place before it was default installed, but that may have been a local branch thing.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                      This is a good idea. I really do think that GIMP has been held back by its name. There is no way that it could be installed in the corporate environments I have worked in (although I often just downloaded it anyway).
                      Which is also the reason corporate isn't switching to Edge, because Edge is also held back by its name.

Comment

Working...
                      X