Fedora Developers Looking To Change The Default Text Editor From Vi To Nano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Developers Looking To Change The Default Text Editor From Vi To Nano

Phoronix: Fedora Developers Looking To Change The Default Text Editor From Vi To Nano

Fedora will be adding the Nano text editor to their default Fedora Workstation installs as complementary to Vi but their stakeholders intend to submit a system-wide proposal that would change the default installed editor from Vi to Nano...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whilst I prefer Vi it does make a lot of sense to ship an editor that's easier to use.

Comment

Don't mess with a religion here

VIM all the way

... or ...

"from my dead cold hands"

Comment

Why not ship both?

(btw, not Vi... Vi is so broken that it can't even auto-merge well... Vim instead)

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Whilst I prefer Vi it does make a lot of sense to ship an editor that's easier to use.
          Especially when catering to new Linux users who only use those tools when trying to figure out a problem or are just using the minimal installer and just need CLI Notepad for a quick edit here and there.

....and since most Vi/Emacs users have their own special setup that they'll switch to anyways making anything more "advanced" than Nano unnecessary.

Comment

I don't get it. Is this change for the sake of change? What's the reason? I mean, they can stomp on a hornet's nest all they want but at least tell the hornets why you're doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Why not ship both?

(btw, not Vi... Vi is so broken that it can't even auto-merge well... Vim instead)
              I think shipping both is the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Why not ship both?

I mean, it's just a package install (and it might just as well be shipped by default too) and one bashrc variable away.

Comment

Ship both for sure, but I definitely think that defaulting to a more user-friendly editor by default is a smart choice.

I can get around in Vi just fine, but honestly prefer nano for most simple editing tasks. If it's more complex, I'm in atom/vs-code or a full IDE anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                    While we're at it, lets replace the Linux kernel with MacOS. Easier to use and all. We'll drop keyboard support too, because typing is too complicated. It'll be touch and gesture only. This is the future of Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X