X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Are you so sure? I don't think so.

And ugh, GObject...
    Yes, it's cheaper and easier to support something that doesn't have a bazillion settings and features.

Comment

RedHat won't use or contribute to DE it doesn't own or cannot strongarm. It's futile to expect RedHat to switch to Qt based DE even if it was GPL-only. License incompatibility is just excuse.
      Besides abandoning Gtk/GNOME would be ego matter at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
        RedHat won't use or contribute to DE it doesn't own or cannot strongarm. It's futile to expect RedHat to switch to Qt based DE even if it was GPL-only. License incompatibility is just excuse.
        Besides abandoning Gtk/GNOME would be ego matter at this point.
        Red Hat does not own or control GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Red Hat does not own or control GNOME.
          https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Red_H...OME_developers
          For KDE, RedHat employs distro packagers, for Gtk/GNOME, core developers and project lead in case of Gtk. I think it's fair to say it does control GNOME.
          Last edited by reavertm; 07 November 2019, 11:47 AM.

Comment

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Red_H...OME_developers
            For KDE, RedHat employs distro packagers, for Gtk/GNOME, core developers and project lead in case of Gtk. I think it's fair to say it does control GNOME.
            That list is quite badly out of date to be fair and nothings stopping anyone not employed by Red Hat from becoming the lead developer on something at GNOME.

Comment

That list is quite badly out of date to be fair and nothings stopping anyone not employed by Red Hat from becoming the lead developer on something at GNOME.
              Sure, but it has nothing to do with assertion in question (that RedHat contributes only to DEs it can control), which you seemed to have disputed.

Comment

Sure, but it has nothing to do with assertion in question (that RedHat contributes only to DEs it can control), which you seemed to have disputed.
                I wrote the page you linked to and your assertion is flawed. For major components, they want to be active contributors and they accomplish that by paying existing volunteer developers to become full time employers or asking some of their top developers to start contributing to the existing projects they want to be more involved it. Examples of both exists, for instance, Kubernetes wasn't started by Red Hat but over time they have hired a number of active developers and they are now #2 right behind Google. The reason they do this is because it makes the project more supportable for their customers. They do it all the way from Linux kernel, glibc, gcc and so forth. GNOME contributions from Red Hat is really no different. They are perfectly fine with other organizations being active participants along with them in a equitable way. Control isn't necessary and more importantly full control is unnecessarily expensive. When it is a shared pool of organizations, everyone benefits from that better

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

I wrote the page you linked to and your assertion is flawed. For major components, they want to be active contributors and they accomplish that by paying existing volunteer developers to become full time employers or asking some of their top developers to start contributing to the existing projects they want to be more involved it. (...)
                  My assertion was specifically about Desktop Environments.
                  I don't see it refuted in your reply. Why RedHat doesn't want to be more involved in KDE development?

Comment

My assertion was specifically about Desktop Environments.
                    I don't see it refuted in your reply. Why RedHat doesn't want to be more involved in KDE development?
                    My response was to show with you with clear examples how Red Hat's development model works and it is up to you now to show why a desktop environment is particular special according to you and provide some evidence to back up your unproven assertion. KDE is covered already in this thread and other places extensively

Comment

Reductio ad absurdum

Yes, it's cheaper and easier to support something that doesn't have a bazillion settings and features.
                      That's the reason Gnome lacks support of too many features and their settings are utter crap. It's not enough to install buggy and slow addons using JavaScript and other web crap anti technology.

Instead of making a Desktop Environment more usable and powerful, let's simplify in the most stupid and useless way. This is the perfect example of Reductio ad absurdum!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X