Red Hat Is Still Hiring To Work On The Linux Desktop + Open-Source Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Is Still Hiring To Work On The Linux Desktop + Open-Source Graphics

Phoronix: Red Hat Is Still Hiring To Work On The Linux Desktop + Open-Source Graphics

Red Hat continues hiring developers to work on the open-source upstream graphics stack and other Linux desktop innovations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Someone should take the job and toss out Gnome and put them on a decently modern DE like sway. Bring them up out of the 1990's.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Someone should take the job and toss out Gnome and put them on a decently modern DE like sway. Bring them up out of the 1990's.
      Sway isn't a DE.
      Sway doesn't have an app toolkit.
      Sway doesn't have the billion other things required to make a coherent desktop platform.

Comment

I'm voting for KDE. However, if they'll fix few things in Gnome it will be really good. It seems Red Hat does really care about Linux desktop.
        Last edited by Volta; 06 November 2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Well it's a good thing you don't get any say in such a thing because if everyone's feelings about each DE was acted upon, none of us would have anything to choose from, or at least nothing worthwhile. Whatever DE it is you use, there are people (even in these forums) who would find it just as dissatisfying as you find GNOME.

Just because it doesn't suit your tastes, doesn't mean it's bad. I'll likely never install GNOME on any of my PCs but I acknowledge what it is good at, which is quite a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I'm voting for KDE. However, if they'll fix few things in Gnome it will be really good. It seems Red Hat does really care about Linux desktop.
            Yep, I wish Red Hat would focus on KDE instead of Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              Sway isn't a DE.
              Sway doesn't have an app toolkit.
              Sway doesn't have the billion other things required to make a coherent desktop platform.
              A billion things you didn't really need to do anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Well it's a good thing you don't get any say in such a thing because if everyone's feelings about each DE was acted upon, none of us would have anything to choose from, or at least nothing worthwhile. Whatever DE it is you use, there are people (even in these forums) who would find it just as dissatisfying as you find GNOME.

Just because it doesn't suit your tastes, doesn't mean it's bad. I'll likely never install GNOME on any of my PCs but I acknowledge what it is good at, which is quite a lot.
                Think I'll apply for the job just to really upset you, schmidtbag. If they don't give it to me, I'll scream age discrimination and force my way in with an army of civil rights lawyers. You do support diversity hiring, don't you?

And then? No more Gnome. Get ready for sway.

Comment

A billion things you didn't really need to do anyway.
                  What like a toolkit to write applications in?
                  and those applications.
                  and all the related libraries

What's the point of a compositor if you've got nothing to run on it.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Yep, I wish Red Hat would focus on KDE instead of Gnome.
                    GNOME is far easier to support from a commercial point of view.
                    and ugh, C++.

Comment

Working...
                    X