Microsoft Will Release Their Edge Web Browser For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    Well, that's not really true... it's been a very long time now since Linux was just a hobby OS. Certainly, it's grown tremendously with the cloud platforms, but it's been a big player in the internet server space for twenty years. The biggest change in recent years is that it's pretty much eaten every other form of server as well... stomping all over Solaris, AIX, and all the other traditional UNIX players.
    And it doesn't help that MS and Proprietary Unix have crappy licenses that limit the number of installs one can have before buying more licenses. When all one needs are some file servers setup at strategic places across a country/the world, "Do I want to spend $5K on OS licenses or do I want to spend $5K on hardware and use Debian?" is a simple question to answer.

Comment

For good or for bad, this is what web devs on Linux have always dreamt of...
      Last edited by andreano; 06 November 2019, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

You're trying really hard to be clever, but then name ONE other Chromium-based web browser that's available for Linux, Windows x86, Windows S, Windows on ARM, macOS, iOS, and Android. Heck, you can even throw out the Chromium criteria. There just isn't any.
        Vivaldi, with the exception of iOS and Windows ARM (but it is available for Linux ARM! - they will focus on that next year after M3 is completed). So just two WIP builds away from checking your complete list.
        Last edited by Vistaus; 06 November 2019, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyovigilante View Post
          Vivaldi? Not sure about ARM
          Vivaldi is not yet available for Windows ARM (but they are working on it), but it is available for Linux ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by eltomito View Post
            I have three questions: Why? Why? And.... Why???
            If I had to guess, they're trying to make sure they've got the ability to get everyone on the Office 365 train.

Comment

Originally posted by dovla091 View Post
              when they decide to release MS Office for Linux, then I will take my hat off, until then it is barely worth of mentioning anything.
              It's really not that far off. Most of not all of their important office applications are already working fantastically in the web browser. They embed seamlessly into electron wrappers like teams, you can't even tell they are web apps.

They own electron. Teams is getting an official client. The new WinUI is open source and runs on dotnet core. They also have dotnet/C# compiling into targets like web assembly for targets that just need a web browser.

I would not be surprised to see office officially supported on linux. Is it good for linux and do I agree with using their stuff? That's another matter.

If they open source office and the servers like azure (you know the things that actually make them money, and collect people's data), that will be something. The same could be said of any of the big companies. Linux won a long time ago, and linux support on its own is not surprising nor is it an important goal any longer.
              Last edited by fuzz; 06 November 2019, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post
                You have a crystal ball and you can see the future.
                You can't fucking read plain english, as your "senior". Not the first time.

I'm just saying what makes the most sense from a purely economical standpoint, or what is an actual fact (opensourcing 20 decade old closed source projects is simply not viable), not seeing the future.

You said it yourself, CEOs don't always do what makes most sense.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                  For good or for bad, this is what web devs on Linux have always dreamt of...
                  Edge isn't Internet Explorer, even before they migrated it to Chromium reskin. Web sites or interfaces needing a specific IE version won't work in Edge.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    You can't fucking read plain english, as your "senior". Not the first time.

I'm just saying what makes the most sense from a purely economical standpoint, or what is an actual fact (opensourcing 20 decade old closed source projects is simply not viable), not seeing the future.

You said it yourself, CEOs don't always do what makes most sense.
                    1. Stop using all those bad words. Can't you behave like a normal person just for once?
                    2. I can read and understand "plain" English. It is you who makes all those preposterous assumptions about someone's knowledge.
                    3. I think this one is most important. Is Server 2012/16/19 a 20 yeard old, closed source project? Can you be absolutely certain of it? If it's closed source than what can we say about it?
                    4. Yes. I said it myself that CEOs don't always do what makes most sense. Which means switching to other kernel doesn't have to "make most sense from purely economical standpoint". Your words with my words in your last comment makes contradiction. Very easy to spot.

I studied economics, but it doesn't mean I'm economist. I don't pretend to be one. I will repeat myself one more time. It is possible for M$ to make a switch. But will they do it and is it economically good idea? I'm not a fairy. I won't speculate.

Comment

I wanted a native Visual Studio. Proper Visual Studio, not VS Code. But I doubt it's ever coming.

They can't even manage to make an actual x64 version for their own platform.

Comment

Working...
                      X