No announcement yet.

Microsoft Will Release Their Edge Web Browser For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when they decide to release MS Office for Linux, then I will take my hat off, until then it is barely worth of mentioning anything.

Comment

Originally posted by tchiwam View Post
      Got a feeling that some day Microsoft may drop the NT kernel and go for the linux kernel + MS goodies on top and live off their cloud solutions....
      and the pigs fly... right.

Comment

Originally posted by dovla091 View Post

and the pigs fly... right.
        They don't need the NT kernel to run Office and MSspyware(tm)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          I'm also serious. They don't really have much reason to develop their own kernel anymore. Windows does not need any "killer feature", it's either already a monopoly or completely out of the market.
          Did I wrote you're not serious? No. Who knows what M$ will do? Current CEO is more open source oriented and has IT background. Ballmer was laughing about the idea of Linux dominating mobiles market and called Linux kernel communism. Unpredictable or unprofessional management can make all the difference.

Comment

They don't need the NT kernel to run Office and MSspyware(tm)
            Depends on economy of whole operation: money + development time. They've put a lot of effort into making their Server 20XX line already. CEO needs to decide will it pay off to make a switch or support current source code. It wouldn't surprise me if they would turn for help to open source community, by uploading Server source code to github, and take money for technical support or patches/repos the way Red Hat or SUSE does. If you change the business model to the one that will give you profit then why not?

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post

Yes, this is easy for Microsoft. They will probably use it to add value for Microsoft users, such as profile management (bookmarks, passwords, tab and search history).

It is really good for desktop linux. imagine in two or three years time saying to a Windows user that they can use Edge on Ubuntu. That is, the application that the average Windows user spends the most time with (which will be Edge) is on desktop Linux. This is a huge branding moment for desktop linux, if Microsoft does a good job.
              I'm not so sure that the Windows user is willing to abandon Chrome so easily, which is the reference browser today. Surely Edge will be more integrated into Windows, but keep in mind that people don't change their habits so easily, so I wouldn't be so sure of all this success.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post
                Depends on economy of whole operation: money + development time.
                opensourcing all the stuff they are doing for now is not worth shit in money, developer time and legal review time (lawyers have expensive cars to maintain too). It's a net loss for some PR gained.

What is most cost-effective is fire everyone involved but keep everything critical on life support (i.e. security patches only), and milk the market until it's dry, Oracle-style.

CEO needs to decide will it pay off to make a switch or support current source code.
                It does, as once they have done the switch (and I mean a mostly-full switch, not just the kernel) they can fire a ton of people that is now unnecessary.
                I'm just assuming that Nadella isn't Oracle-grade comic book villain and will choose the better of the two options.

uploading Server source code to github
                not possible. Opensourcing long-lived closed projects is a huge can of worms for licenses and patents.

Also if you think Server is more than Windows 10 with a few minor things enabled and a GUI server management application I have some news for you.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 06 November 2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  Don't forget the internet server space. Linux was a hobbyist OS not that long ago.
                  Well, that's not really true... it's been a very long time now since Linux was just a hobby OS. Certainly, it's grown tremendously with the cloud platforms, but it's been a big player in the internet server space for twenty years. The biggest change in recent years is that it's pretty much eaten every other form of server as well... stomping all over Solaris, AIX, and all the other traditional UNIX players.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
                    Will it be distributed via Snap, Flatpak or appimage?
                    I hope so, for those who use these. As long as traditional packages are still maintained.

I uninstalled Chromium for Chrome because Chromium is not available anymore in the Ubuntu repository or in a ppa. It's just a secondary browser for when uBlock is preventing comment sections to be displayed.
                    I don't want flatpaks or snaps, it kind of is like a msi and it defeats one of the purposes of why I moved away from Windows 12 years ago.

Anyway, I couldn't care less about Edge on Linux, as I don't trust Microsoft to be able to offer good products anymore. 99.9% of the time I get pissed at work for a software not working properly, crashing or lacking basic features, it's a Microsoft product.

But I guess it's good for developers.

Comment

What is most cost-effective is fire everyone involved but keep everything critical on life support (i.e. security patches only), and milk the market until it's dry, Oracle-style.

It does, as once they have done the switch (and I mean a mostly-full switch, not just the kernel) they can fire a ton of people that is now unnecessary.

Also if you think Server is more than Windows 10 with a few minor things enabled and a GUI server management application I have some news for you.
                      As always. At some point you are going into berserk mode. I'm not even sure anymore would you fire everyone or set them on fire. I'm IT guy not CEO or economist. Or a scripwriter from Bollockswood. And you are? Let me quess. You have a crystal ball and you can see the future. That's a nice hack. Crystal ball: +12 to Black Hat skill.

Comment

Working...
                      X