Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outreachy Developers Have Been Making Some Useful Contributions To The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outreachy Developers Have Been Making Some Useful Contributions To The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Outreachy Developers Have Been Making Some Useful Contributions To The Linux Kernel

This past week at the Open Source Summit Europe in France there were several past Outreachy interns that shared their work on contributing to the Linux kernel and related open-source projects. Several of these projects have resulted in useful additions to the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am positively surprised! 👍️

To be honest, I really did not expect any meaningful contributions coming from the Outreachy program.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

To be honest, I really did not expect any meaningful contributions coming from the Outreachy program.
      Still doesn’t justify a discriminatory policy!

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Exactly! I don't think Outreachy should exist after all.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Hey, the Nazi's made the Autobahn and their technology was the basis for modern rocketry and got us To The Moon and Back. Just saying that good things can come from the worst of places.

I think it's a bit BS that we can have an organization like Outreachy because, in America at least, the mindset of accepting segregation for the greater good is a form of Jim Crowe and is leading us towards creeping legislated fascism based on forced acceptance, not learned equality, and that ultimately does nothing but draw yet another line in the sand instead of trying to teach people to love one another and to look past outward appearances.

How hard of an amendment is "Every citizen has equal rights as defined by our Constitution"? No having to add gay people here; no trans people there; women, nope; no mention of color or religion - - Are you a Citizen? Yes. Then you have equal rights as everyone else. Simple.

I mean, it's fucking embarrassing that my country essentially has a list that starts with White Land Owners and simply adds groups to that list as necessary. Women don't have equal rights yet. Seriously. Women in America have less rights than men. We really, really, really need to change it from a list to the word citizen (or legal citizen if that'll get those anti-immigrant motherfuckers to come on board). For Americans, that list is our problem because it leads to

"But I'm a white guy"
          "Yeah, but you're gay and gays aren't on the list of approved citizens"

and

"But I'm a black guy and we're on the list now"
          "Yeah, but you were in a car 15 years ago with a dude who wouldn't admit the weed was his so all y'all got felony drug charges and felons are on the unapproved list so you've lost access to the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 9th, 15th, and 26th Constitutional Amendments."
          "But weed is legal now"
          "Just STFU you felon ass druggie"

because "druggie felon" is an acceptable to hate on group thanks to the War on Drugs teaching hate and incarcerate over love and rehabilitate.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            It's not discriminatory in a negative way. It's like need-based scholarships that don't want to give money to kids with millionaire parents to attend a low-cost university. Get over it.

I hope Outreachy continues to make tangible contributions and ignores the static and noise that is coming from the stands.
            Last edited by DanL; 03 November 2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Sigh. I just KNEW there would be some idiot anti-SJW comments here.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                It's not discriminatory in a negative way. It's like need-based scholarships that don't want to give money to kids with millionaire parents to attend a low-cost university. Get over it.

I hope Outreachy continues to make tangible contributions and ignores the static and noise that is coming from the stands.
                This right here is exactly everything that's wrong with Outreachy and the misguided people who adhere to that mindset. Outreachy and programs like it are absolutely discriminatory in a negative way. Outreachy is not a "need based" program. What exactly are the need-based criteria? Being black? Being a homosexual? Unlike the aforementioned scholarships, these have nothing to do with any tangible need.

What Outreachy is effectively doing, is creating new forms of racism and discrimination, and indoctrinating the next generation to become members of the victimhood / entitlement cycle. Programs like Outreachy are what prevent many minorities from succeeding in life. In fact, the majority of 21st century societal harm in developed countries comes directly from these misguided race and gender based social programs.
                Last edited by torsionbar28; 03 November 2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Yeah I don't understand why people are against it at all. Like what's their end goal? To have less people enter the open source community and contribute? I don't understand why they would want to make the open source community worse by not letting organizations like these reach out to demographics that normally wouldn't have contributed otherwise. It just seems like everybody benefits.

Comment

Why
                    and not the Open-Source Summit Africa. If it's really about to help someone then third world is who needs [a lot of] help and not someone else. Scholarships to local universities or something.

Comment

Working...
                    X