No announcement yet.

Debian To Seek A General Resolution Over Their Init System Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When your choices are between the plague and cholera I guess you can't complain why people question why to even bother with the choice...

Oh and before the usual retorts based on the straw man that the complaints against systemD are just people who think init is better, I'm just going to point out that the argument against is more or less entirely around the implementation. Nothing wrong with copying the basic concepts of OSX's launchD and init definitely needed to be retired, but Pottering & Co undeniably botched the implementation.

I'm really not kidding about systemD starting out as copy/re-implementation of launchD (which is quite highly regarded). PulseAudio, another one of Pottering's projects, also started as a copy/re-implementation of CoreAudio (which is also quite highly regarded).

Comment

Wait!!!

Are we talking about that distribution that still ships 20 years outdated tools and packages but yet to decide going with a bleeding edge and hardly buggy init system called SystemD ?

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
        When your choices are between the plague and cholera I guess you can't complain why people question why to even bother with the choice...

Oh and before the usual retorts based on the straw man that the complaints against systemD are just people who think init is better, I'm just going to point out that the argument against is more or less entirely around the implementation. Nothing wrong with copying the basic concepts of OSX's launchD and init definitely needed to be retired, but Pottering & Co undeniably botched the implementation.
        systemd is more than launchd, launchd alike functionalities are just a part of systemd's concept. systemd goes further. It's also not a really bad idea to have a look a available software and taking notice of what works good and what works badly.

Why is the implementation bodged?

PulseAudio, another one of Pottering's projects, also started as a copy/re-implementation of CoreAudio (which is also quite highly regarded).
        I don't think this is the case.

Comment

The people who maintain Debian should make the decision, they're the ones doing the work

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            The people who maintain Debian should make the decision, they're the ones doing the work
            Really? Are other people than deb devs voting there?

[HUGE SARCASM]

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
              This will also effectively make Debian - Linux only
              two crazy people who need non-linux debian can maintain fork with any init system they like

Comment

imbeciles who can't spell systemd properly feel entitled to judge its implementation

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

systemd is more than launchd, launchd alike functionalities are just a part of systemd's concept. systemd goes further. It's also not a really bad idea to have a look a available software and taking notice of what works good and what works badly.

Why is the implementation bodged?

I don't think this is the case.
                  Launchd has evolved massively since it's debut in 10.4 and yes CoreAudio spawned PulseAudio. The new Audio System by Apple in Catalina is a whole new beast, just as the entire Network Stack, Driver Stack, USB Stack, etc.

Comment

I was just thinking about Debian the other day for my old PCs, then I remembered about systemd. I'm looking forward to this.

Comment

Originally posted by 9Strike View Post
                      User who don't want to use systemd are using Void or Devuan anyway.
                      Not to mention MX Linux, the number one distro on distrowatch.

Comment

Working...
                      X