Trimming systemd Halved The Boot Time On A PocketBeagle ARM Linux Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimming systemd Halved The Boot Time On A PocketBeagle ARM Linux Board

Phoronix: Trimming systemd Halved The Boot Time On A PocketBeagle ARM Linux Board

Happening this week over in Lyon, France is the Embedded Linux Conference Europe and Open-Source Summit Europe events. Developer Chris Simmonds spoke today about systemd and boot time optimizations around it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Doing less stuff on boot shortens boot times.
    More news at 11.

Comment

If you're inclined to rant about how bloated systemd is, try that with a SysV init.

I still remember the pre-upstart/systemd distros that literally took minutes to boot.

Comment

Wow what a waste of time, the whole slides just end up removing a single service for a non-existing tty that blocks and timeouts.

Comment

I do see a lot that do not speak in favour of systemd, especially for embedded systems.
          The only thing in favour of systemd is that it has cgroup parameters, which can shoot down your GUI before it takes down your system.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
            I do see a lot that do not speak in favour of systemd, especially for embedded systems.
            The only thing in favour of systemd is that it has cgroup parameters, which can shoot down your GUI before it takes down your system.
            systemd relies on dbus which hasn't been very popular in the embedded field from what I know because of it's memory usage, which is fine for desktops, servers, just not so much for embedded.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
              If you're inclined to rant about how bloated systemd is, try that with a SysV init.

I still remember the pre-upstart/systemd distros that literally took minutes to boot.
              Yes, it was a nightmare. Furthermore, sometimes services failed to boot for some SysV init only known reason and those ugly scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                systemd relies on dbus which hasn't been very popular in the embedded field from what I know because of it's memory usage, which is fine for desktops, servers, just not so much for embedded.
                IIRC this was a big part of the interest in KDbus, that and context switches.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

I hope BUS1 comes back to life.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

And more recently dbus-broker. which works but hasn't seen much development lately.

Comment

Working...
                    X