Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kingu
    replied
    GNU might benefit from being a bottom up organisation. Arguing it exactly after RMS was questioned for his no-wrongdoing in pointing out unsubstantiated claims means it will have to really represent meritocracy before I buy into it. Add to that the Guix mailing list post, and the stage is either set for disaster, or actual change for the better.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Michael

Q: In 2019, this was said to be the number 1 reason to message a Phoronix moderator?

A: What are "unapproved posts"?

Correct.

AMDGPU release disasters for $200, Alex.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Well, maybe he does not like that because he knows full well how the social system is in many cases bs and mostly exploited. As he is one of those exploiting it he does have first-hand experience.

I mean there are plenty of things that I disagree with on a ideological level that I take advantage of. If I don't do it someone else will, and I prefer myself to someone else. I think it's logical.

To make a simple non-political example:
    I know someone that does not buy canned tuna because he is concerned about overfishing killing tuna populations (which is a valid concern and it's actually true). I agree with him but I don't see what good I will do by not eating canned tuna. Unless there is a larger operation where it is banned or some limitations are put and enforced then it's going to become rare and expensive anyway, the only difference is that for the rest of my life I didn't eat canned tuna anymore.
    Also, I like canned tuna.
    Unfortunately, with him, it's about how those people are lazy and entitled, the typical "welfare queens" stance, and not how they work two part-time jobs and still require financial assistance due to massive wealth inequalities between classes or that the reason they're now working two jobs are because companies cut hours to not give people 32 hours to have to pay for their health insurance -- that 32 hour line is where ObamaCare fucked up because all it did was turn 39 hour work weeks into 31 hour work weeks (you know damn well low-end jobs send people home over paying overtime or insurance benefits).

He's the kind of guy who was able to work through college in the early 70s and thinks that everyone can do that now without even considering that a part-time job for him was enough for his rent, bills, and tuition and a part-time job for me won't even cover the books or lab fees let alone life in general regardless of how much Ramen I eat.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    He'll tell you about that while complaining about government spending and people on welfare in the same sentence. The mental gymnastics one has to be doing to have a viewpoint like that is just uncomprehensible to me.
    Well, maybe he does not like that because he knows full well how the social system is in many cases bs and mostly exploited. As he is one of those exploiting it he does have first-hand experience.

I mean there are plenty of things that I disagree with on a ideological level that I take advantage of. If I don't do it someone else will, and I prefer myself to someone else. I think it's logical.

To make a simple non-political example:
    I know someone that does not buy canned tuna because he is concerned about overfishing killing tuna populations (which is a valid concern and it's actually true). I agree with him but I don't see what good I will do by not eating canned tuna. Unless there is a larger operation where it is banned or some limitations are put and enforced then it's going to become rare and expensive anyway, the only difference is that for the rest of my life I didn't eat canned tuna anymore.
    Also, I like canned tuna.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Nice place you got there, that gives money to immigrants in need.

Here the white men are just using immigrants as a businness opportunity to steal grant money from the state (i.e. overinflated living cost to house and feed them)
    Tell me about it: I know a guy that basically makes his living off of HUD families in next to livable rent houses. He gets places for under $10K at auction, does just enough to make them pass code using crackhead under-the-table labor, and then rents to nothing but families that use HUD to keep a steady supply of government money coming in. He usually makes his money back within a year to a year and a half and has at least 15 places like that that I'm aware of.

He'll tell you about that while complaining about government spending and people on welfare in the same sentence. The mental gymnastics one has to be doing to have a viewpoint like that is just uncomprehensible to me.

Do I have to mention (R) or tea parties?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by hotaru View Post

that is true, but starshipeleven clearly was trying to say it's ok with his claims that I was "overreacting".
    See? You are assuming my intentions and that's bullshit. I never stated that, you can't assume fucking intentions, period.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Takes a bong hit: I wish that "identifies as" worked legally so I could identify as a legal immigrant fleeing communism and religious oppression to get easier access to grant money for starting a business and owning a home than I can as just a white dude. Apparently every single white dude is equally privileged with money and power...I never got the memo and none of them have invited me to the club
    Nice place you got there, that gives money to immigrants in need.

Here the white men are just using immigrants as a businness opportunity to steal grant money from the state (i.e. overinflated living cost to house and feed them)

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by hotaru View Post

that is true, but starshipeleven clearly was trying to say it's ok with his claims that I was "overreacting".
    Quite possibly. I couldn't read back past the ass end of page 8 because this thread is getting too dumb and off-topic for even me, and that's really saying something.

Leave a comment:

• hotaru
    replied

Saying something is common is not the same thing as saying it's ok.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Are we gonna talk about the RMS and his relative case over and over and over again?!?!?!

*sigh*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X