No announcement yet.

GNU Project Developers Debate A Restructuring As A "Bottom Up" Organization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Most GNU developers are still in support of RMS. I don't know of a *real* GNU developer that is openly against RMS actually. Can anyone point out such a person?
    2. You put text in quotes as if you're quoting something someone said in full. You took the quote completely out of context. The full quote is:
      Yeah, I'm not interested in anything that reduces RMS's influence and control of GNU at this point.
      It literally means the exact fucking opposite of what you're implying in your article.
    3. The tone of your article implies some sort of coup against RMS which isn't even borderline the case. Fuck off with that.

I guess it's clicks versus morals at this point Michael?

Comment

Wow, brilliant, I am from Finland and hence know very well about "taistolaisuus" as it is written in Finnish. Even though this is by default a conspiracy theory, it is so very fitting it make me laugh to the coincidence. And yes, there is near perfect connection between taistolaisuus and this phenomenon happening inside Free Software movement, though, stallmannians themselves were a bit like taistolaiset, which is yet another hilarious detail. The phenomenon is in the end just an extremist group inside a group, which I guess is not that rare.

I once said a long time ago that the best way to break Iraq, Iran., etc is to take every woman you possibly can to universities in USA and Europe and guide them to women's studies, then send them back, and lo, said countries would explode.

But what is most hilarious is that Google et all has actually injected certain extremists to Free Software movement by funding them strongly. Sometime ago, maybe a year ago, I like prayed here that those certain extremists would go to Microsoft and cause havoc there. I would have so much fun reading news of all changes Microsoft would have to do because extremist politics demand them

I am not saying Google et all released the bomb, but I would not be suprised a bit if there were people lolling and saying "lets see what happen if we do this".

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Richard Stallman should always stay at the top of the project, and not be influenced by those who want to insert politics into code!
        GNU is an explicitly political organisation, and was founded as such - on gnu.org they have a 'take action' section with (at the time of writing) the current goals:
        • Support the efforts on net neutrality in the USA, and in your home country.
        • Defend privacy, and support global copyright reform
        • Support current FSF campaigns.
        • Fight against software patents: worldwide, and in Europe.
        All of these are political, rather than code-related in their nature. There's more to software, and particularly open source software, than what's in the repository.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          You know, that shouldn't happen. Richard Stallman should always stay at the top of the project, and not be influenced by those who want to insert politics into code!
          I was under the impression that Stallman was also inserting politics into the code, although he isn't the only one that wants to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
            I am not saying Google et all released the bomb, but I would not be suprised a bit if there were people lolling and saying "lets see what happen if we do this".
            Who needs skynet when we have SJWs and "strong independent black trans women"

Comment

GNU is the software project. FSF it's the organtisation behind GNU.
              Originally posted by archibald View Post

FSF is a explicitly political organisation, and was founded as such - on gnu.org they have a 'take action' section with (at the time of writing) ...
              Unfortunately in the last years, to much into politics and less about coding, effectively.

Comment

While there are some legitimate arguments to get rid of Stallman as he can be downright repulsive at times, doing it this close to the false allegations levied against him over the Minsky/Epstein comments will inevitably reek of opportunistic skulduggery. Hence I really don't believe anyone of those currently wanting to get rid of him right now is doing it based on any legitimate reasons. I see it as them either trying to increase their own influence, boost their own status or just being plain sociopaths kicking someone already on the ground.

So while I don't dismiss the idea that it might be time to have Stallman step aside, considering the very recent media hatchet job against him based on a provably false allegation I'd say the right thing is to table the motion for at least another year.

Comment

Originally posted by tului View Post

Someone calling you little lady or something on one post doesn't really count.
                  Probably comments like this contributed to this person feeling unwelcome. Congratulations for being part of the problem.

As a man, you don't get to decide what counts and what doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                    they can just start their own project, and left other people projects follow their paths.
                    Since these people have contributed to the GNU project as a whole, GNU is their project. They have every right to question its structure and promoting change.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                      Probably comments like this contributed to this person feeling unwelcome. Congratulations for being part of the problem.

As a man, you don't get to decide what counts and what doesn't.
                      "as a man"?

Are you assuming his gender?

Are you also assuming that someone regardless of gender can't just point out that maybe she was just overreacting or misunderstanding? Software development is full of people with very poor social skills that still mean well (and also of jackasses, but they are everywhere)

In general, most interactions with opensource projects I had were cold and machine-like, also long waits and the strong impression someone was bike-shedding stuff too much and I had to appease their needs just for the sake of getting it merged, not because of real reasons.
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 23 October 2019, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X