GNU Project Developers Debate A Restructuring As A "Bottom Up" Organization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Project Developers Debate A Restructuring As A "Bottom Up" Organization

Phoronix: GNU Project Developers Debate A Restructuring As A "Bottom Up" Organization

GNU developers unhappy with Richard Stallman sticking around as head of the GNU Project and not planning to make any "radical" changes are now expressing their desire for the GNU to be restructured as a "bottom-up" organization whereby those active developers and volunteers involved could potentially have more say...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    This move is likely to cause any real change with RMS still at the helm,
    Sorry?

Comment

You know, that shouldn't happen. Richard Stallman should always stay at the top of the project, and not be influenced by those who want to insert politics into code!

Comment

If you don't like it, leave. Go make your own shit. I say.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
          If you don't like it, leave. Go make your own shit. I say.
          This mostly means that all related GNU code has to be forked (and renamed), since most GNU projects are (c) the GNU foundation. This may work in the long run, but it looks like an incredible waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post
            This may work in the long run, but it looks like an incredible waste of time.
            That is exactly what these people are. A match made in heaven

Comment

RedHat couldn't wait to pounce on RMS. This is my shocked face.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post

This mostly means that all related GNU code has to be forked (and renamed), since most GNU projects are (c) the GNU foundation. This may work in the long run, but it looks like an incredible waste of time.
                It seems from previous stories that the anti-Stallman brigade is a fringe minority of GNU contributors. By all means, if they have an issue with the person at the top of the chain they are welcome to fork and do their own thing independently. In many cases, the project might be stronger without their participation.

Comment

I know someone that is very happy with this whole situation:

"yes, yes, Satya managed to infiltrate and destroy the 'cancer' that I never managed to defeat."

Comment

I think that a project has a future only if those who work there have some prospects, I am always in favor of democracy within projects, GNU is not of Richard Stallman, otherwise it would be a proprietary project, which is even worse than proprietary software.

Comment

Working...
                    X