X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tului
    replied
    Originally posted by hotaru View Post

a lot of would-be GNU contributors have been pushed to the fringe by people like RMS. I've made exactly one contribution to a GNU project, and the general hostility to women that I encountered convinced me never to do that again. I still use a lot of GNU software and make various fixes and enhancements, but I no longer even consider contributing my changes upstream. I'm sure there are others like me who are watching to see if the eventual outcome of this RMS situation makes contributing upstream viable.
    What was the incident so we can judge for ourselves? Someone calling you little lady or something on one post doesn't really count.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    The maintainer of GNU Classpath, LMAO. There has been no new releases of Classpath in almost 8 years. Besides, GCJ was axed some time after GCC 6. What kind of maintenance work is there left? Isn't OpenJDK freely licensed now?

Leave a comment:

• wagaf
    replied
    a lot of would-be GNU contributors have been pushed to the fringe by people like RMS. I've made exactly one contribution to a GNU project, and the general hostility to women that I encountered convinced me never to do that again. I still use a lot of GNU software and make various fixes and enhancements, but I no longer even consider contributing my changes upstream. I'm sure there are others like me who are watching to see if the eventual outcome of this RMS situation makes contributing upstream viable.
    Thanks for your testimony, it would be genuinely helpful to understand what made you perceive this "general hostility to women" (if you already explained this somewhere before, could you please post a link here ? or talk about your experience). Was it because of the behavior of RMS himself ?

Many thanks

Leave a comment:

• Redfoxmoon
    replied
    Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
    The sheer idiocy in those forums' posts is incredible.
    No counter argument to be made, so the ad-hominem attacks come out, classy.

Leave a comment:

• AsuMagic
    replied
    Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
    If you don't like it, leave. Go make your own shit. I say.
    The sheer idiocy in those forums' posts is incredible.

Leave a comment:

• Redfoxmoon
    replied

Citation needed.

Leave a comment:

• hotaru
    replied
    Originally posted by squash View Post

It seems from previous stories that the anti-Stallman brigade is a fringe minority of GNU contributors. By all means, if they have an issue with the person at the top of the chain they are welcome to fork and do their own thing independently. In many cases, the project might be stronger without their participation.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    I think that a project has a future only if those who work there have some prospects, I am always in favor of democracy within projects, GNU is not of Richard Stallman, otherwise it would be a proprietary project, which is even worse than proprietary software.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    I know someone that is very happy with this whole situation:

"yes, yes, Satya managed to infiltrate and destroy the 'cancer' that I never managed to defeat."

Leave a comment:

• squash
    replied
    Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post

This mostly means that all related GNU code has to be forked (and renamed), since most GNU projects are (c) the GNU foundation. This may work in the long run, but it looks like an incredible waste of time.
    It seems from previous stories that the anti-Stallman brigade is a fringe minority of GNU contributors. By all means, if they have an issue with the person at the top of the chain they are welcome to fork and do their own thing independently. In many cases, the project might be stronger without their participation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X