Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Is At Around 437 Employees, Pulled In $99M While Still Operating At A Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revenue is small and revenue growth is very low. I don't see how an IPO will be exciting until they do something about that.

Comment

Here's a good read for anyone still doubting the benefits Ubuntu's "lowlatency" kernel has:

I've recently just gotten over the last challenge in my setup- a harsh drop in performance and stability when running 2 gaming VMs at once. Running KVM with PCIe passthrough, a game in one VM always seemed to affect a game in the other VM. This seemed to get worse with disk access, so it definite...

Some interesting quotes:
      So I installed a low latency kernel ('lowlatency' 1000-tick w/ kernel-space preemption).. and it kinda fixed everything. The general verdict is that the lowlatency kernel will most likely be a performance drain in gaming situations, but I havent noticed FPS loss.
      I'm also not sure I could notice any FPS loss because beforehand the games were so jumpy and jittery i really couldnt gauge it. Afterwards everything is butter smooth.
      Basically, low latency kernel seems to have done a lot to fix things for me.
      The only numbers I was able to observe was a solid 10ms latency drop in Steam Streaming (40ms -> 30ms), plus stability in latency over time (steam will graph the latency for you), so far less spikes in the end.
      even with single VM (no isolcpu for linux or core isolation for guests) disk access would always give me the biggest 'pops' in latency. With lowlatency on single VM, its butter smooth. No tasks really seem to delay any others noticeably (at the cost of context switching, im sure). This of course goes the same for another VM, even with CPU resources shared equally between 2 guests and the host, its really smooth.
      Lowlatency definitely gave me the latency i wanted.
      What is stable tho, is that execution starts immediately when requested. AFAIK this guarantee can only be met with either CPU pinning or a lowlatency/rt kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post

Hmm to completely stop development of MIR and give that manpower to wayland ? or stop development of bazaar and give that manpower to git development ?
        wow.. you seems to be a destructive person..
        So much hate..

You should bear in mind that Mir, is a lower overhead, than Wayland..it was really nice for mobile devices..
        Last edited by tuxd3v; 17 October 2019, 10:44 AM. Reason: complement

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
          Here's a good read for anyone still doubting the benefits Ubuntu's "lowlatency" kernel has:

I've recently just gotten over the last challenge in my setup- a harsh drop in performance and stability when running 2 gaming VMs at once. Running KVM with PCIe passthrough, a game in one VM always seemed to affect a game in the other VM. This seemed to get worse with disk access, so it definite...

Some interesting quotes:
          That's essentially why I, a Manjaro user, compile my kernels from Tk-Glitch's sources. I'll take a "lower performing" low-latency kernel over a "higher performing" regular kernel any day of the week since I care about how well my desktop responds overall more than I care about how well a single process runs and benchmarks...or stuff I run with "nice --5 to --10" (my system is set up so users have access to up to negative 10 w/o root/sudo with everything defaulting to 0...I need to figure out how to set all of KDE/Plasma to negative 3...)

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post

You have no idea what you taking about, IBM paid cash to each shareholder directly, not IBM shares, Red Hat is a fully owned IBM entity, there are no Red Hat shareholders except IBM now. That is how stocks work.
            Exactly, came here to write the very same thing when I say that post by Guest where he claimed that RHT was still a publicly traded company, the share was delisted at 2019-07-09 from NYSE when IBM announced that they had bought 100% of the shares for $190.00 per share.

Company buy-outs don't settle at 50-51%, unless they reach at least 90-98% of the outstanding stock such offers usually default.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
              Redhat to buy Canonical with the money they got from IBM
              Redhat could buy Canonical with the money they could find between their seat cushions.

Comment

Canonical has never made a profit. They are subzidized by a rich guy...

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  $99 mil is sweet money for tinkering with Debian's packages and repos and churning out a worse performing distro.

Oh and coming up with a different shade of orange and purple wallpaper twice a year. Probably $50 mil goes into wallpaper costs alone.
                  You forgot about the most expensive thing in all projects out there, the logo.

Comment

I could 'almost' (with a strong drink) imagine Valve Corporation buying them and maybe going an 'app store' and console route. But I seriously doubt there would be enough profit or even a killer feature to pull it off.

Now it Samsung purchased them both.....

Comment

Originally posted by NathanG View Post
                      I could 'almost' (with a strong drink) imagine Valve Corporation buying them and maybe going an 'app store' and console route. But I seriously doubt there would be enough profit or even a killer feature to pull it off.

Now it Samsung purchased them both.....
                      I'd imagine Valve either buying off, funding, or cloning Manjaro if they wanted to do a serious round 2 with Linux and SteamOS. No other Linux distribution makes sense.

At this point in time, however, GhostBSD/FreeBSD would also be a good contender if it had some of that Valve money behind it to get FreeBSD's Wine, Xorg, and Intel & AMD GPU drivers up to par with Linux since FreeBSD really ain't that far behind these days. Corporations seem to prefer MIT/BSD over GPL.

I'm assuming Nvidia's BSD driver isn't that far behind the Linux one...haven't had an Nvidia card for 7 years now so that isn't something I keep up with. That's 100% due to AMD just announcing AMDGPU if any AMD representatives come here. It wasn't even available, just the thought of it coming was enough to entice me to switch and I'm damn glad I did.

Comment

Working...
                      X