Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Is At Around 437 Employees, Pulled In $99M While Still Operating At A Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Scheduler and governor settings, 1000/750/500/250hz timer frequency, etc. There are a lot of kernel dials to turn and tweak and some can only be done at compile time.

Basically, some things are in the normal kernel and it's on the distribution on whether they provide kernels with the dials turned to desktop and low-latency or if the users have to turn the dials themselves. Manjaro and Ubuntu are pretty good in that regard.
    Right, then they should be done by default then. If a desktop distribution ships with a kernel that breaks browsing the web, playing games etc then that is a bug. Normal users should NOT have to worry about switching kernels or what version of the kernel they have installed, ever, to do normal desktop-y things.

It's worth noting that Red Hat does have tuned that can tune the current kernel to be low latency, high throughput, power saving etc.

Providing different kernels makes the user decide or something they shouldn't have to decide upon. You may see it as pro-choice, but it's anti-user.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Right, then they should be done by default then. If a desktop distribution ships with a kernel that breaks browsing the web, playing games etc then that is a bug. Normal users should NOT have to worry about switching kernels or what version of the kernel they have installed, ever, to do normal desktop-y things.

It's worth noting that Red Hat does have tuned that can tune the current kernel to be low latency, high throughput, power saving etc.

Providing different kernels makes the user decide or something they shouldn't have to decide upon. You may see it as pro-choice, but it's anti-user.
      I consider that pro-user. How in the world are the distributions, doesn't matter which one at this point, but how are they supposed to know how we plan on using our systems? Are you using a laptop, high end workstation, 58 processor rack server, 4K gaming grade PC, a Core2Quad desktop off eBay for $100? Exactly. They don't know and each of those systems can require a different kernel with different tuning or the distribution can release one kernel and hope it suits everyone's needs (hint: it doesn't or we wouldn't be having this discussion nor would "noob" distributions provide multiple kernels).

Not everyone in the world are people like us. Not everyone can custom roll their own kernels for specific needs.

A lot of y'all Phoronix posters seem to forget one thing -- we're smarter than the average bear. The dumbest person at Phoronix is still smarter than 95% of the world in regards to computers and technology.

Comment

I am not a fan of Red Hat, nor of Canonical, but I find it curious and perhaps a bit stupid to go against those who contributed heavily to make GNU / Linux usable by all of us. Well Canonical historically has never made great contributions, this is known to all, just look at what Canonical contributes in the Kernel, on the contrary Red Hat (which is not particularly nice to me) is historically known for great contributions to the Gnu / Linux ecosystem. Obviously not only Red Hat, great contributions come from Debian and also from openSUSE. Spitting in the dish where you eat is not a great idea! So as a Gnu / Linux user I would like many more contributions from all, including Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          skeevy420 How’s the view from the Dunning-Kruger peak?
          Nowhere near as good as your view from the Dunning-Kruger moon.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Charlie68 Post-CLA Canonical employs a lot of desktop developers.
            They still use contributor license agreements. e.g. snap.

Comment

Originally posted by zamadatix View Post
              An employee costs more than just their salary, usually add a bump of 25%.
              i heard something like x2 or x3

Comment

btw, do you remember people on this forum proclaiming canonical's profitability? that's why you can't compare canonical's actions to established business' actions
                Last edited by pal666; 17 October 2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  Frankly I don't get this obsession with Canonical's CLAs. They only ever come into play if you want your code to be merged by Canonical. You can still develop patches, fork, maintain your own version etc. without having to worry about a single CLA.
                  yes, clas only come into play when you want to cooperate, lol

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
                    Stocks don't work that way. Shareholders don't get shit as long as they don't sell their stocks. Technically Red Hat can use the money to invest in buying Canonical if they want to.
                    technically redhad didn't get any money from transaction. i.e. stocks don't work that way etc

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                      How about offering people who care about latency an appropiate kernel?
                      how about fixing bugs in your kernels instead of resubmitting them to competitor's bugtracker?

Comment

Working...
                      X