Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Is At Around 437 Employees, Pulled In $99M While Still Operating At A Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Is At Around 437 Employees, Pulled In $99M While Still Operating At A Loss

Phoronix: Canonical Is At Around 437 Employees, Pulled In $99M While Still Operating At A Loss

In addition to this week being exciting for the Ubuntu 19.10 release due out on Thursday followed by the kicking off of the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" cycle, Ubuntu maker Canonical coincidentally made their financial statement filings in the UK this week where they are headquartered that gives a fresh look at their financial performance ahead of a possible IPO in the next few years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Redhat to buy Canonical with the money they got from IBM

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      Redhat to buy Canonical with the money they got from IBM
      a) Red Hat didn't get any money from IBM, Red Hat's shareholders got the money (okay Red Hat may have owned some of it's own shares, but really it's not like Red Hat suddenly has 34B).

b) why would you buy Canonical?

Dave.

Comment

Not having looked at the docs(assuming they break down the costs), where does the bulk of the costs go? You'd have to pay each employee 100k each to hit 43.7 million. I can think of some things, but nothing that gobbles up another 40+ million in costs? I guess there's a fair amount of staff on more than 100k?

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post

b) why would you buy Canonical?
          Hmm to completely stop development of MIR and give that manpower to wayland ? or stop development of bazaar and give that manpower to git development ?

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post

Hmm to completely stop development of MIR and give that manpower to wayland ? or stop development of bazaar and give that manpower to git development ?
            I think Canonical pretty much did most of that on their own :-)

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
              Not having looked at the docs(assuming they break down the costs), where does the bulk of the costs go? You'd have to pay each employee 100k each to hit 43.7 million. I can think of some things, but nothing that gobbles up another 40+ million in costs? I guess there's a fair amount of staff on more than 100k?
              An employee costs more than just their salary, usually add a bump of 25%.

Comment

So for some reason they need to generate a quarter million dollars per person to be profitable? What are they blowing their money on? Bob the janitor isn't going to be able to swing that, I'm afraid.

Comment

437 Employees, and still 373532 bugs (some 18 years old). Redhat actually fixes bugs I report.

Comment

$99 mil is sweet money for tinkering with Debian's packages and repos and churning out a worse performing distro.

Oh and coming up with a different shade of orange and purple wallpaper twice a year. Probably $50 mil goes into wallpaper costs alone.

Comment

Working...
                    X