No announcement yet.

A Vast Majority Of Linux's Input Improvements Are Developed By One Individual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Vast Majority Of Linux's Input Improvements Are Developed By One Individual

Phoronix: A Vast Majority Of Linux's Input Improvements Are Developed By One Individual

While there is an ever increasing number of open-source developers focusing on the Linux graphics stack with the GPU drivers and related infrastructure, it's quite a different story when it comes to the Linux input side. It's basically one developer that has been working on the Linux input improvements for the past number of years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe it is not as sexy as other subsystems?! As large as the world is, and even the Linux ecosystem, it was surprising for me to hear that story.

Comment

the libinput code is extremely well documented, and it actually has up to date and accurate 'how to build' instructions that an idiot can follow ... I am proof.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        No Redhat no desktop. People need to remember this.
        With no Red Hat and its employees, half of the current Linux userspace wouldn't exist in its current form (gnome, wayland, systemd, dbus, colord, NetworkManager, polkit, sssd, packagekit, kvm).

I hope IBM keeps the Red Hat technique of promoting independent open source projects of which then you build commercial products on top.

Comment

He seems to be doing a good job, and if anything does happen to him, I'm sure Red Hat can find a replacement. libinput isn't as huge, ambitious, and failure-prone as most other projects we regularly hear about, so I could see how 1 guy would be enough, especially since I don't think there's much of a todo list left over (is there even one?)

Comment

Not a problem, it cuts back on a lot of going back and forth.
            Many successful initiatives are the brain child of a single person: bittorrent, git, systemd, pulseaudio, even wayland or the implementation of quake on iOS.

Comment

Sooooo, where are the Canonical devs? Maybe planing to work on their own incompatible input system instead? For a distro that likes to think of itself as the king of linux desktops, they sure like to piggy back a lot on Redhat's efforts (like everybody else though).

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
                Sooooo, where are the Canonical devs? Maybe planing to work on their own incompatible input system instead? For a distro that likes to think of itself as the king of linux desktops, they sure like to piggy back a lot on Redhat's efforts (like everybody else though).
                trying to develop and push proprietary software, aka snap, to increase their value so they can go public or get bought out.

Comment

Ah, so this is why you still can't disable mouse acceleration in a sane way outside of gnome. Makes sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    He seems to be doing a good job, and if anything does happen to him, I'm sure Red Hat can find a replacement. libinput isn't as huge, ambitious, and failure-prone as most other projects we regularly hear about, so I could see how 1 guy would be enough, especially since I don't think there's much of a todo list left over (is there even one?)
                    I think there's two points here:
                    1. A personal appeal from the one guy himself... it's hard to argue that he wouldn't know best, and perhaps we should take this as him signaling that he's forming his own future career plans that don't include libinput.
                    2. Whoever that replacement may be, they would greatly benefit from ramping up with a knowledgeable mentor rather than being in the dreaded state many companies find themselves in: "Hey yeah this ultra important system had 1 guy on it, and then he quit. All that's left is his code and his documentation. Good luck!" Even with world-class documentation, this is not an enviable position.

Comment

Working...
                    X